Chris P

Better late than never?

Hi,

I apologise for the fact that I registered about nine months ago, but never got round to introduce myself. I hope late is better than never!

I'm a 55 year old church minister, married, with a grown-up son. I was diagnosed a year ago as ASD/Asperger's, with a handful of co-morbidities such as dyslexia, sensory processing problems, dyspraxia, and a tendancy towards anxiety and depression.

In the course of diagnosis we mapped out a rich vein of eccentricity in our family - Great Uncle George, in the early years of the 20th century, used to spend every summer camping out in a cricket pavilion computing cricket scores, returning to a Lunatic Asylum for the winter after the season was over! Since my diagnosis we've come to the conclusion that we are fully living up to our family heritage - my wife now has the same diagnosis, and our son certainly belongs in the same camp. Is the family dog ASD as well? Our border collie displays all the signs, it seems to me: obsessive interests, inability to join in with social activities, struggle to understand body language.....!

I'm getting used to having a name to describe the package of gifts and struggles I've lived with all my life. I'm the world expert on being me(!), but still have a lot to learn about how to live constructively without spending all my energy pretending to be 'normal'. So I'm glad to be here, will gladly share what I have learned, and look forward to learning a whole lot more!

Edited by Chris P

Thank you all for your welcomes, and Tally - I agree firmly about things needing to be straight!