Sign in to follow this  
joanc12

Advice needed

Hello

My son is mid diagnosis for Asperger's and Dyspraxia. His first ASD appointment is on Tuesday next. My problem is that he is 13 years old and does not want to know about Asperger's. He is currently in 2nd year in a Grammar school. I had been pushing for my son to see the Educational Psychologist since the start of second year as he was non participating in certain subjects eg Art. PE, Music and PE. Her report was to say the least very worrying. She felt he has Dyspraxia, low self esteem. low morale and below average processing skills. His results to date this year, I would say are below what would be expected of him at this school. Has anyone any advice on how to help him accept that he needs help. He feels that there is nothing wrong with him, he doesn't need 'therapists' or help at school and that he is being made to feel like a 'retard' - his words! After another battle, he is having a Statutory Assessment. He would also need councelling for his low morale, but getting him to accept that is also difficult. Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

Joan

Many children feel this way. They want to be the 'same' as their peers not different.

There are children on this forum that really struggle to accept any help, because by having a learning support assistant with them it just highlights to them their difference.

Have you talked with him about what he finds difficult in those activities and has he got any ideas about what would help him. If he has dyspraxia and also has the organisational and sequencing cogntive difficulties that can accompany dispraxia, then having a LSA to help him organise himself before and after lessons may help. If it is structured in a way he accepts and finds useful to him.

And keep talking to him. His difficulties are not down to his cognitive ability. That is the whole point. These difficulties are making it harder for him to demonstrate his potential and the difficulties he has are probably very frustrating to him. I think he is going to have to be an active player in any supports or differentiated work. You really need him on board. You need his opinion and input.

Many children feel this way. They want to be the 'same' as their peers not different.

There are children on this forum that really struggle to accept any help, because by having a learning support assistant with them it just highlights to them their difference.

Have you talked with him about what he finds difficult in those activities and has he got any ideas about what would help him. If he has dyspraxia and also has the organisational and sequencing cogntive difficulties that can accompany dispraxia, then having a LSA to help him organise himself before and after lessons may help. If it is structured in a way he accepts and finds useful to him.

And keep talking to him. His difficulties are not down to his cognitive ability. That is the whole point. These difficulties are making it harder for him to demonstrate his potential and the difficulties he has are probably very frustrating to him. I think he is going to have to be an active player in any supports or differentiated work. You really need him on board. You need his opinion and input.

Thank you for replying. Getting him to open up is very hard but I will keep trying. He was seen by the ASD team today which was very helpful. OT tomorrow. With their help and advise from the Forum members, I try and stay positive. I just want my son to be comfortable at school and if possible, happy.

Joan