Sign in to follow this  
Carrera74

SENDIST query re part 2/3 of statement

I am appealing against part 2, 3 and 4 of DS statement. I have received a letter from SENDIST asking for more information about part 3. They ask for written confirmation of what I would like adding/amending or deleting from part 3.

Parent Partnership helped me fill in the appeal form and he said to just put a few things down so they would accept the appeal and I could go into more detail at a later date.

Do I just put everything in writing now so it’s done or should I just list a few thing s that I am concerned about in part 3 and then go for the jugular at a later date?

I have 10 days to respond and I want to make sure I get this right.

I want to be as detailed as possible but I’m not sure if I can at this stage.

Parent Partnership are unavailable and I have been trying to get through to IPSEA all week with no luck.

Can anyone help?

You can phone SEND as well and ask them. I know things have changed recently and they want more information up front and there maybe new rules on submitting late evidence as well. So I would phone them.

Hi Carrera74,

Put in all the detail you are able to at this stage. If you want something included and can suggest the exact wording you want - great. If you can't, don't worry, just put the gist of what you want and say that you are still seeking advice on the wording and will confirm this later. Also say if you want something deleted.

So you might be saying things like:

- I would like xxxx to be deleted from part 3.

- After the sentence: xxxx I would like the following to be inserted: xxxx

- I disagree with the following: xxx and would like this to be amended to xxxx

- I would like xxxx (general description of what you want - e.g. S&L therapy) to be included in part 3 and am still seeking advice on this. (if you're not sure yet, or you're still waiting for an assessment, report etc. to confirm what's needed).

The more precise you can be, the better, because it saves a lot of time. The LEA will receive a copy of what you have sent in and may agree to make some of the changes you want straight away if they are well worded. Also if you are clear about what you want from the start, you establish a firm basis for negotiation. If you get to the hearing with at least some agreement on part 2 and 3, you are not wasting time haggling over every little word, and the hearing can then focus on part 4 - which is the crucial part to be resolved.

So be assertive and put down everything you would like to see: imagine you are writing the perfect statement for your son. Don't worry, however, if you leave something out or can't come up with an exact phrase - you'll have the chance to refine it later. At some point the LEA must produce an electronic copy of the statement (a "working document") on which you can put your amendments and track any changes that have been agreed.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

I've contacted SEND and they said I can send it all now but I do have extra time to submit anything I forget/miss out/new information.

Thank you so much for this. It helps loads. I have until next Tuesday to get this to them and I can send via email/fax too so that gives me all weekend to get straight :)