Sign in to follow this  
sawjd

Dyspraxia by Mary Colley

Hello everyone,

I was going to post this subject under resources but i wanted to reach a wider audience about how this book does help me.

Firstly let me explain a bit, I have dyspraxia (diagnosed in 2009)but its more fine motor skills,verbal and seqeuncing that i have problems with. I did have good teachers when it came to PE and they were helpful. I learnt how to catch a ball and throw a ball but i am not very good with my feet as i have weak ankles and have had a couple of operations to remove bones from my toes which is where i found that the surgeion i had told me about my joints in the ankles and said i have very weak joints. I have always suffered with chrondomacialia patella. (some form of arithirits and knee gives way a lot of the time). You can hear my knees click.

I was and still am a clumsy person, so it came as a relief (mixed with sadness) that i found i had this condition. Then along came Mary.... A adults guide to developmental dyspraxia and found this book useful. I wanted to mention it as it gives tips on how to handle housework better, ( i tend to do things the long way round acutally all the time and people wonder what i do all day, well it takes me a long time to do things and 'think outside the box'. I have always struggled with trying to find another way of doing things. To make household tasks easier for myself so i can be quicker. I can try and avoid making work fr myself which is something that people have always told me, that i tend to make things more difficult for myself. Has anyone found this being said to them frequently ?.

I now use this as a reference guide and do my best to introduce strategies for handling most practical things. If anyone does want the reference number of the book so you can order it, i can give it to you.

Just feel very sad that i should have known or had help sooner for me when i was at school (teachers knew)then i am sure i could have coped better with my life, which is why i do what i can for our children now.