Sign in to follow this  
matzoball

meet taylor morris - again

http://www.hartleysboys.com/2010/04/interv...lor-morris.html

i previously posted in a thread about her, in her defence as i felt anyone raising awareness should be praised. however after reading this blog, i find myself agreeing with baddad in that this really smacks of the mother rather than the daughter...

i don't doubt that Taylor is intelligent and can express herself, but the way she answers her questions is very similar to the writing style of her mums business website.

hmm.

Hi Matzoball -

To be fair, that's not quite what I said...

The comments i made weren't about Taylor Morris specifically, but more about my wider concerns that autism is now a growth industry with more and more people trying to to make a living off the back of it.

It does worry me that more and more people like Taylor, who a decade or so ago probably wouldn't have been diagnosed (and are probably now only on the basis of some very selective and creative interpretations and application of the diagnostic criteria), are speaking increasingly, and being seen increasingly, as the 'medical model' of what autism means.

That said, I'm also becoming increasingly concerned that it doesn't seem to matter who says what about autism anyway, because more and more parents, carers, professionals and autistic people seem to be taking exactly what they want from the diagnostic criteria to reinforce their own preconceptions and totally ignoring - often quite aggressively - those bits that do not fit those preconceptions. It's gone from being a diagnostic criteria to being a great big fat cherry tree from which people 'pick' the cherries they most like the look of while ignoring all the other branches and often even the rest of the orchard.

That may sound harsh, and some may even take offence at it (but then that beg's the question if they see themselves in what are quite clearly non-specifc and general observations why do they need to feel so defensive?), but the simple fact is I have seen quite a few medical 'growth industries' in my time - from the whole glue ear/tonsilectomy thing of thirty years ago right through dyslexia and ADHD and all of the new ones that are cropping up. As we rapidly approach critical mass of disorders, isms and syndromes it can only be a matter of time before we get a 'neurotypical syndrome' for the tiny minority of people left who feel disenfranchised because they don't have anything to blame all the negatives in their lives on.

Sorry for what is probably a bit of soapboxing, but I really am concerned that there are lots of people being overlooked, further marginalised and done huge injustices on the back(s) of this (these) growth industry (industries) and the often (IMO) dangerous pick-n-mix stereotypes they reinforce.

L&P

BD :D

http://www.hartleysboys.com/2010/04/interv...lor-morris.html

i previously posted in a thread about her, in her defence as i felt anyone raising awareness should be praised. however after reading this blog, i find myself agreeing with baddad in that this really smacks of the mother rather than the daughter...

i don't doubt that Taylor is intelligent and can express herself, but the way she answers her questions is very similar to the writing style of her mums business website.

hmm.

It's gone from being a diagnostic criteria to being a great big fat cherry tree from which people 'pick' the cherries they most like the look of while ignoring all the other branches and often even the rest of the orchard.

:sick: I don't like cherries.

us pick-n-mix stereotypes they reinforce.

Mmm, pick 'n' mix on the other hand... :eat1:

I started the original thread on Taylor Morris, and I must admit the more I have looeked into it, the more is does seem like a pushy mother exploiting her daughter. It turns Mother is one of these self taught guru / therapist types. It's a shame really, I am all for Autism Awareness, I am just not sure this is it.

To make up for it, may I point you to this Youtube video which I thought was actually quite beautifully done:

http://www.youtube.com/user/storycorps#p/u/0/eO7sKVKMO2s

It reminded me a lot of myself at 12 years old.

Zen