Ma§h

Tawreet

Hello all.

My name's Mark. I'm a 41 yr old one-man train wreck from Salford who was given the official AS stamp of approval at the start of April but am now awaiting an assessment for ADHD after a follow-up AS meeting last week.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I went to the doctor's with a bout of depression and, as I'm also type II diabetic, he referred me to be assessed by a psychologist. To cut a very long story short, getting on for three years later, here I am - most of that time spent awaiting appointments for one thing or another (the treatment has been, so far, flawless; I just wish it didn't take so bloomin' long between each step).

The ironic thing is that I originally went to the GP's because I felt my life & I weren't working properly (I'll spare you the grisly details) and wanted to find a way to be able to function at some kind of non-destructive/semi-successful level. And now, without sounding too pessimistic, it turns out I have something permanent which can't be cured or eliminated, although I've been told, and realise for myself, that these things can be treated or dealt with to some degree. Fingers crossed, eh.

Anyroadup, posting something in a place like this is close to the bottom of the list of things I'd: a) ever think of doing myself, and b ) willingly or comfortably volunteer for. However, I've been advised (by professionals & friends, all wiser than me) that this might be of some benefit to me. And, as my life to this point has proved, all the things I think I know (including all of my beloved coping mechanisms I've blissfully ignorantly developed over the past four decades) haven't really worked in my favour. So here I am.

I've also started a blog about my AS adventures. There are only two entries so far - I find it as un-me to do that as writing here is. Here's the link for those of you with way too much time on your hands:

Damn....links aren't allowed after all. Ah well, nevermind.

(There might be a little bit of profanity included in it...can't remember to be honest but, knowing me, it's more than likely. You have been warned. And sorry if links aren't allowed.)

OK, that's my lot. Not sure how much I'll participate, or if I'll even post again, in future but.....it's done.

Be good.

M

Edited by Ma§h

Hi Mark, and welcome to the forum.

I am a moderator here, and I just want to clarify that it is commercial links that we do not allow. If your blog is a personal website and you are not trying to sell anything, then do feel free to post a link to it :)

I was diagnosed with Asperger's 3 years ago, aged 25. Coming to terms with the diagnosis and the permanency if the condition is something that most people do find hard. However, people with Asperger's can still learn new skills and find new ways around their difficulties, so all is not lost! If you have additional mental health problems, then a diagnosis of Asperger's (and the possible ADHD as well) cen be key to accessing the right kind of treatment. Sadly, there is very little support available to adults with Asperger's-related difficulties, but I have found that the informal support I've got from talking with other Asperger adults has been really helpful.

Hi Mark.

I hope you find the forum helpful and enjoyable. You may find several people here who have been through a similar experience to yourself. We don't mind if you post a lot -or not at all- or just drop in occasionally: you're very welcome. :)

K x

Hello all.

My name's Mark. I'm a 41 yr old one-man train wreck from Salford who was given the official AS stamp of approval at the start of April but am now awaiting an assessment for ADHD after a follow-up AS meeting last week.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I went to the doctor's with a bout of depression and, as I'm also type II diabetic, he referred me to be assessed by a psychologist. To cut a very long story short, getting on for three years later, here I am - most of that time spent awaiting appointments for one thing or another (the treatment has been, so far, flawless; I just wish it didn't take so bloomin' long between each step).

The ironic thing is that I originally went to the GP's because I felt my life & I weren't working properly (I'll spare you the grisly details) and wanted to find a way to be able to function at some kind of non-destructive/semi-successful level. And now, without sounding too pessimistic, it turns out I have something permanent which can't be cured or eliminated, although I've been told, and realise for myself, that these things can be treated or dealt with to some degree. Fingers crossed, eh.

Anyroadup, posting something in a place like this is close to the bottom of the list of things I'd: a) ever think of doing myself, and b ) willingly or comfortably volunteer for. However, I've been advised (by professionals & friends, all wiser than me) that this might be of some benefit to me. And, as my life to this point has proved, all the things I think I know (including all of my beloved coping mechanisms I've blissfully ignorantly developed over the past four decades) haven't really worked in my favour. So here I am.

I've also started a blog about my AS adventures. There are only two entries so far - I find it as un-me to do that as writing here is. Here's the link for those of you with way too much time on your hands:

Damn....links aren't allowed after all. Ah well, nevermind.

(There might be a little bit of profanity included in it...can't remember to be honest but, knowing me, it's more than likely. You have been warned. And sorry if links aren't allowed.)

OK, that's my lot. Not sure how much I'll participate, or if I'll even post again, in future but.....it's done.

Be good.

M

Hi Mark - Good to hear about your experience leading to and following your AS diagnosis. I am particularly interested in adults' experiences of AS diagnostic assessment, and I imagine that a separate subject on the forum would be useful. I am so glad that I'm now on this forum, as, until now, I've actually felt alone with my struggle to appear 'normal'. Great that you're on here! All the best. Martin