redwine

DIAGNOSIS

Hi Everyone, New to this site, not really familiar with all this, but have to start somewhere.

Im Gayle I have 1 ds whos is nearly 8 and 1 dd who is 15months, been trying to get a diagnosis for ds for

over 4 years now, he has recently been sent to a special school 4 days a week and still attends his mainstream school 1 day. He has had assessments by SLT, but we are still waitin feedback. His Ed Psychologist has referred him for and ADOS assessment, it seems that the ed Psy, Slt and registrar all take part in assessing him then come to a decision whether or not he has aspergers. My ds is very bright particulary in Maths, he is just full of knowledge,he has a love of diamonds, everything has to be his way or no way, can't take no for an answer once he has something in his head behaves the same at home and in school. Socially he comes across as a bad we boy lashes out alot when you try to get him to do something he doesn't want to do if it's not on his agenda, he reacts badly and wants revenge if another child says something bad to him. He can't seem to play with more than one person at a time or he ends up upset and angry.Eye contact is poor, but recently is able to have a conversation, but it has to be about him. He seems to eat alot and would eat all day if we didn't stop him, his favourite food is fruit and any type of fish or shell fish. He is also very hyperactive talks constantly, lacks concentration except whe he's on computer or doing something he's really interested in.

Does any of this sound familiar? GX

Edited by redwine

Sounds very similar, my son has just been diagnosed with Aspergers and he sounds alot like your son except he has a very soft and loving side too. If I dont do what he want it's the end of the world and he gets so mad that the veins in his neck come up and he makes the most angry faces. You can read him like a book if he is happy he has the biggest smile but you can spot a bad mood from a mile away. My son has few friends and will only play with one at a time and HATES sharing! If you say but sharing is caring...he always replied only stupid people share! He has an answer for everything! My son can also talk the hind legs off a donkey and fidgets at the table...I can't take him out to a restaurant as he's up and down and up and down from the table.. I'm at the begnning of the diagnosis though so I'm hoping I can re-train him now I know what I'm up against!

Hi Gayle and welcome, :)

I hope you get some answers from the professional assessments soon.

K x

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbs:

My son (11) with ASD has his own agendas too. I negotiate with him and that works with us.

Danaxxx

Welcome and good luck with getting the right diagnosis for your son.