Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Anti-allergic plasters/tape

Does anyone have any good suggestions for sticking plasters / tape that's suitable for someone severely allergic to everything that seems to be on the market, even micropore and the supposed sensitive skin plasters? My skin blisters under most tape within an hour (and pulling the tape off then isn't fun :tearful:) and I have a reaction beyond the plaster site so it's not just a case of a bit uncomfortable. I cause them a nightmare at the hospital as I can't even tolerate those little round plasters used after jabs/blood-tests and they can't use the sticky things that hold canulars in place. :oops:

I took a tumble onto rough concrete this morning and cut my knee open - I've had to put a dressing on it and hold it in place with a bandage but it looks a bit OTT!! :lol: :lol: I wish there was some sort of normal plaster or tape I could use. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful; my health centre are happy to prescribe something if it's prescription only or expensive, but we've tried lots with little success so far - mefix has been best, but I can still only cope with it for a few hours. :(

sorry I would have suggested mefix. standard practise for medical/first aid professionals is to use a bandage if you are severely allergic (and blisters is severe!).

use the big dressing and take the sympathy it garners :lol:

Interested in the replies here as I'm exactly the same. I blister and usually end up needing antibiotics if I need a plaster. It wasn't much fun as I had no choice but to wear some of the dressings after my c-sections :S Thankfully not for long.

I've not found anything at all I can use for any length of time :(

Lynne

I blister and usually end up needing antibiotics if I need a plaster. It wasn't much fun as I had no choice but to wear some of the dressings after my c-sections :S

Youch >:D<<'>

Well I had 'fun' today, there was a different nurse on duty at the hospital who doesn't know me today, so I explained that I couldn't have the normal sticky stuff as she jabbed the needle in, and she seemed really understanding, said 'no problem at all', then asked me to hold it in place - I thought she meant whilst she went to get something else, but no, that was her solution, I would hold it in place!!! :rolleyes::wacko: It made turning the pages of my book rather interesting, so I had to watch morning telly instead, but Elmo was on (not sure why :unsure:) so at least it was mildly entertaining!