sawjd

Rotten SENCO.Statements are they worth it if outcome the same

Hello everyone,

Sarni here.

We actually got a school place nearer to where we live away from Ks current school, yet K is still having IEPS and supposed to be moving up in September in his current school.

Problem is this, moving to a new school, can the work that has been done or recommended follow on or do we have to start all over again. Would this move be bad for K ?. We are unhappy with the current school as they are not carrying out what has been suggested by the autsim outreach worker anyway. To top it all we had a speech and langauge report out of the blue, saying that k does need 'significant amount of prompting in staying on task'. 'He demonstrated difficulty with using eye contact and initiating conversation'.

The service mentioned about Ks anxieties in coming to school and advise that we have a meeting (really only now ?, this has been going on since easter). When he goes up (this report goes on to say) we should have another meeting with the school and that his needs can be met by the school so long as the school set up a social communication s skills group to support him in this area to support his attention skills.

Now reading this (we only got the report late last week)i am thinking would the new school take this on board, would the current school take this on board as they are not really doing what they should now. I will give an example, K is very absent minded, so he does need a lot of reminding about taking his school bag. In the last month he has been very good at taking his book bag (they did say he needs reminding), yet in my frustration at not being allowed to see his work (i have to make an appointment, we were not privy to see it on parents evening)i went looking for some work of his in his tray and found a list of spelling tests and homework (a months worth)and A LETTER ADDRESSED TO US from the speech and language department dated early May and the letter stated the therapist was leaving. This is wonderful i thought(sarcasm). Wait for it, it gets better (sarcasm)......annoyed that they know about K and his problems and this work was left in his tray (as far as i know there is only him and another girl who is more autisitic in the class, its a small school so why is this difficult for them) i sent an email to complain........(i have had no emails since early may(not even about the biting) from the SENCO about K moving up, what was happening to his IEPs, was there to be anymore IEPS if they were happy about his progress ?, not one..... then i suddenly got a reply to my email and what a flurry of info i got. Ks IEP was coming up, Ks transition day was coming up. Would i like the home/school book back as they have had it ?, no kidding i thought. Just so angry that this has been going on and my conclusion out of all of this is .....I still could not make them support K properly even with a statement as i had just the same problems with D and he did have a statement, the only difference is you can go to a solictor and get something done when you have a statement. I suppose its whats in it, and while i am aware of children desparetly needing support who have far more greater need than k it still angers me that there is not enough support to go round he gets left behind even more so now, and thousands of others will do now that Cameron will tighten SEN resources,

One last thing on Ks report its says K was significantly helped when the instructions were repeated to him. It is felt that his attention skills impacted on his ability to carry out tasks.

Not really sure what we should do with this now, anyone got any ideas we would be grateful.

Many thanks.

Sarni :unsure: