Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Everything I say seems to be wrong

My mum has gone to India for her work. She was supposed to do 3 weeks' work, and have the weekends off to do whatever she wanted. Instead though, she has decided to do her 15 days' work over 15 consecutive days and come home earlier. She knew it was going to be hard before she went. She has done it before so she knew exactly what to expect. Now she keeps texting me about how miserable she is and gets cross if I don't reply straight away. I'm trying to reply, but sometimes I don't notice until later or I am at work or doing something other than watching my phone. When I reply I try to tell her she will be there soon, or it's not much longer now, or something like that, but that only makes her cross anyway.

I thought she'd like to hear some news from home so I told her about my day. I thought if I can't make her feel better about her situation, then maybe that would cheer her up or give her something nice to think about instead. She was annoyed that I only ever talk about myself.

She was upset because my dad told her the cat seemed to be missing her, and she wanted me to go and see how the cat was and make sure my dad was feeding her. The cat seemed quite happy, so I told her the cat seemed fine and then she was upset that the cat wasn't missing her!

I told her about my dad buying 30 plant pots. One of my dad's "endearing" traits is that he likes to do things in bulk. Geraniums were on 3 for 2, so he bought 18. I thought she'd see the funny side about the 30 pots, but apparently she rang my dad up to tell him off for buying 30 pots and now my dad is upset that I told on him.

We haven't been getting on very well lately and I hoped that her going away would give us a bit of a break so we could start again when she got home again. It doesn't seem to be working out that way.

Tally,

I'd guess your Mum's having a difficult time and taking it out on those she loves most. I'm sure when this trip is over she'll go back to normal and maybe even realise she's been a tad difficult and try to make it up to you by being nice (that's what I do).

In the meantime, I'd let her rant a bit probably laugh about it inside. Have you tried chatting to your Dad?

Hope things get back to normal soon.

Barefoot

awww sounds like she is really miserable out there in India and missing you all much more than she is letting on

Am sure she will be abck to herself once she returns, try not to take it to heart

I told my dad that I'd had some texts and she seemed a bit down, but he just rolled his eyes and said, "I know." He wasn't really cross with me for telling my mum about the pots and I think he knows she won't be very happy about it when she gets home. He's lined them all up in straight lines on the patio and everything! But they seem to have enough problems already without me stirring it. I really wish I hadn't said anything now.

She does this twice every year and she's never crammed it all into 2 weeks like this before. I really don't know why she's done it. Usually she does something nice and relaxing on the weekends. It's not like she couldn't bear to be away for so long because she normally goes for 3 weeks and has always has a really nice time. Normally she texts us all in turn every couple of days because it's so expensive, but I've had several messages every day.

I don't like it when she makes me responsible for her feelings because I am not very good at knowing what to say.

I haven't heard anything from her today, which has been a bit of a relief, although it probably means she is in the middle of nowhere with no signal and has no one to tell :(

She comes home on Sunday so there is not much longer now. I am hoping my dad will take her in the front door and she will go straight to bed, because she is going to go nuts when she sees what my dad has done with the garden!