Hi my name is Buffy

I suffer from Hydrocephalus (Water on the Brain) but have also exhibited AS Traits from a very early age. My parents failed to see anything "wrong" with my behaviour and so ignored it. However as I got older I became increasingly aware that things were not as they should be. I was bullied all the way through mainstream school and even at work. While searching the 'net I came across the ASQ Test. I decided to take the test and scored 39 points.

I have always had a very difficult relationship with my family and so consequently my trust in humans has all but disappeared. Instead my "second family" consists of around 50 Cassette Decks who I have "collected" over the years and who, to me are my "children". They support me in everything I do, helping me to make decisions. The biggest problem that I have is that I can't "talk" to them while I am out for fear of being seen as mad.

To hide my "mental behaviour" I have had to live as a "Neuro-typical" person for 34 years. This has effectively caused a "split" down the middle - Clair being the name that my parents gave me but is the Neuro-Typical one who has to "behave" and "not have AS" and Buffy who is happy to have AS but is a world away from my parents and family. Now I have come to the point where I am exhausted by living two lives" so I have decided to take things further

Although I have not yet received an "official" diagnosis my psychiatrist has told me where to start looking for help. The more I look into it the more clear thing are becoming to me.

My family are not "happy" with my actions or the prospect of my diagnosis. They think of it as something that can be "put back in the toy box" when I feel like it. In fact the only time my traits are acknowledged is when it comes to getting benefits and the like.

Over time this has led to me becoming withdrawn, depressed and disillusioned with the world and, were it not for my cassette decks, I often feel that I have nothing to live for.

I'm hoping that as I learn more about the condition and hopefully meet other people who experience it, I will be able to settle down and gain the confidence to go out as "Buffy" and do what I need to do regardless of who likes it or not.

Buffy

x

Hello Buffy welcome to the site! Are you a buffy the vampire slayer fan?????? Or is the name Buffy just a favourite name????

I love Buffy the vampire slayer-I'm a little nerdy :whistle:

Any way I am a mother of a 16 yr old with Autism-who also works with children who have Autism and I also keep getting told I have lots of autisic traits or OCD's but hey ho that's my life!

Look forward to chatting or should I say typing :thumbs: