Sign in to follow this  
macgumerait

Scottish Services for the Late Diagnosed?

Hi,

Can someone possibly help?

With most of the national focus on young diagnosed people of autism, or their parents/guardians, is anyone aware of any active services which cater for those diagnosed later in life?

As well as my own contacts at council level, I have liased with other bodies (Scottish Society for Autism/National Autistic Society/etc) however they confirm they have nothing set out in stone which will assist late diagnosed aspies.

Services which may be advantageous would be anything around building up social skills and confidence. From a personal point of view, the distinct lack of support on offer for the older generation does implant an impression of abandonment by the very bodies who should be able to relate.

If nothing is apparent, would there be interest to have this area looked at, in future service development?

Any advice would be useful.

Hi

I guess it's a lottery postcode like everything. In Edinburgh I know of a very good service for adults (feel free to PM me). I'm an NT adult with an Aspie son and I'm keen to know what's available to him in the years to come.

Caroline.

Yes I do, just started on the road myself at 44. I will find out more and let you know.

Hi

I guess it's a lottery postcode like everything. In Edinburgh I know of a very good service for adults (feel free to PM me). I'm an NT adult with an Aspie son and I'm keen to know what's available to him in the years to come.

Caroline.

Hi Caroline,

Nice to meet you. What services are you aware of, which may be worth investigating? Im at a stage beyond accepting things as they are. I am also concerned about other late diagnosed who are being snubbed by services in many respects.

Yes I do, just started on the road myself at 44. I will find out more and let you know.

How did you get diagnosed? a recommendation, or a curiousity? How did it make you feel being diagnosed at that age?

Hi Caroline,

Nice to meet you. What services are you aware of, which may be worth investigating? Im at a stage beyond accepting things as they are. I am also concerned about other late diagnosed who are being snubbed by services in many respects.

Hi

There's an organisation in Edinburgh called Number 6. They have a website:

http://www.number6.org.uk/index.html

As far as I'm aware they provide a whole range of services for people aged 16+. They do quite a bit of work on social skills, etc and run 'social groups', etc. Might be worth giving them a bell.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

Hi

There's an organisation in Edinburgh called Number 6. They have a website:

http://www.number6.org.uk/index.html

As far as I'm aware they provide a whole range of services for people aged 16+. They do quite a bit of work on social skills, etc and run 'social groups', etc. Might be worth giving them a bell.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

Yes, I had looked previously into Number 6, and I got a feel it was some form of weekend "dropin centre" for teenagers. Regardless, I did make contact with the administrator there and he said that they no longer allowed memberships from outwith the Edinburgh area any more.