Sign in to follow this  
bremer1950

Bus Passes

Hello

I have Asperger's Syndrome and my mobility bus pass is about to run out. Over 10 years ago I learned to drive and I was at it 20 months. I gave up and the Driving Instructor advised me that I wouldn't be able to learn to drive. The criteria to claim a mobility bus pass nowadays is if you are blind or partially sighted,... are deaf or without speech, have a disability which has a substantial and long-term adverse on your ability to walk, do not have arms or have long term-loss of the use of your arms, have a learning disability, have been or would be refused a driving licence on medical grounds, other than the misuse of drugs. Many with AS have them, I wonder what tips you could give me in reapplying? Thank you.

Arthur

Every local authority has their own rules. Some give them to recipients of DLA, some ask for a doctor's letter. Mine (Derbyshire) will only issue them to people who are Adult Social Services users, which makes it virtually impossible for anybody with ASD to get one.

I don't really think that the advice of an instructor would qualify as a medical reason for you to be refused a licence.

Have a look on your local council website or call into their offices. And good luck, it's not easy in some places!