Sign in to follow this  
KarenT

Temple Grandin movie

Hi Karen -

looking at the top of the page it looks like it's a TV Movie rather than a cinema release so that's prob why you've not heard about it. Hopefully it'll come out on DVD, but even then probably not your local branch of blockbuster's kind of stock. TG's life is very inspirational, showing how much can be achieved by tapping in to special interests. She's achieved what she's achieved on equal terms - not because people have 'judged' her work on the basis of her autism and patronised her, but because it stands on its own merits. Similarly she's never (as far as I know?) allowed herself to be presented as heroic, as having somehow 'overcome' her autism to achieve her success. There are many in the latter catagory doin' the lecture circuit these days - often having acheieved, in real terms, very little other than getting on with their lives, which - while not to be sniffed at - is something I feel far more autistic people are capable of doing than is currently acknowledged.

Oh - just had a quick shufti and it is showing as a 'reserve' (not yet available to rent) on 'Lovefilm', so there should be a DVD at some point!

L&P

BD :D

I shall have to reserve that then.

Hopefully it will have kept to the true story, so that it is informative as well as entertaining.

Looks really good :thumbs: I found the documentary the BBC did a few years ago excellent.

What region do DVDs have to be to play in the UK? A region 1 USA import version is available on Amazon of the DVD, but I'm not sure if this will work here? :unsure:

Hi mumble - welcome home BTW! -

You need region 2 for the UK. Some players come region free and some can be 'hacked' to be region free (sounds painful, and/or difficult/illegal, but in fact not the case!), but unless you know it's probably not worth the risk and easier to wait for the UK release, surprisingly, 'standalone' players are often easier to hack because it's donme just by entering a code on the remote control, whereas the DVD player in a PC needs a 'firmware flash' (ooer missus!). If you really, really can's wait there used to be a reliable site called videohelp.com with all the -and to stress again it IS legal to have region free players, but will probably invalidate any warranty to do it - 'hacks'. Haven't used 'em for years, but when ben was in his hannah barbera collecting phase there were certain titles i could only get as region 1, and videohelp solved the problem :)

Hope that's useful

L&P

We bought a cheap 2-channel dvd player like this one,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alba-DVD62Xi-Channel-Player-Silver/dp/B000JBXWRS

but different model, that you can set to the region of your choice, because the kids were always hankering after region 1 dvds.

Ours had good reviews and has worked really well for the small number of region 1 dvds we watch.

Worth thinking about buying a dedicated player for other regions.

cb

Bumped this, as finally got a chance to watch this at the W/E (I was able borrow it from someone who had the region one version) ...

It's still not got a UK release, but Amazon are listing it with a notification option now

(see item six here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_kk_2?rh=i%3Advd%2Ck%3Atemple+grandin+region+2&keywords=temple+grandin+region+2&ie=UTF8&qid=1296572689#/ref=sr_kk_1?rh=i%3Advd%2Ck%3Atemple+grandin&keywords=temple+grandin&ie=UTF8&qid=1296572696)

so it shouldn't be long.

It's a bit Disneyfied in places to make it more accessible to a wider audience, but over all I'd say it's probably the best 'autism' movie I've seen to date. They use some very subtle cinematic techniques to highlight things like sensory overload, and explain Temple's 'squeeze box' in a way that really emphasises the logic and common-sense of it rather than it's 'oddness'.

I was a bit concerned when I saw 'Autism Speaks' included in the advisor credits, but unless I missed something I shouldn't have been! All in all a very positive and sympathetic representation of autism and difference, and the message 'different, but not less' driven home very effectively without coming across as soap-boxy or aggressive.

If you can get your hands on a copy it's well worth a watch or rental.

L&P

I was in the cinema the other day and was talking to my mum through the trailers and not paying proper attention. I swear though, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the name "Temple Grandin" flash up on the screen. So maybe there are plans for it to be shown in the cinema at some point.