Sign in to follow this  
Tally

ANyone familiar with East London?

I'm driving to the Thames Barrier (from Surrey) tomorrow and I need advice.

Should I go up the A3 and across London from the top of the A3?

Or should I go round the M25 and inwards on the A2?

I plan to arrive there at 9am. I'm thinking traffic levels may be light enough to allow the through-London route at that time in the morning???

Am definitely planning to come home via the A2/M25 as traffic will have built up by then.

I'm driving to the Thames Barrier (from Surrey) tomorrow and I need advice.

Should I go up the A3 and across London from the top of the A3?

Or should I go round the M25 and inwards on the A2?

I plan to arrive there at 9am. I'm thinking traffic levels may be light enough to allow the through-London route at that time in the morning???

Am definitely planning to come home via the A2/M25 as traffic will have built up by then.

Hi.

Are you driving to the South Side of the Thames Barrier [Woolwich] or the East Side [Newham] ?

In any case I would not drive across London unless you really hate the M25.

I saw notices up on the Highway in Wapping today .I think the Blackwall tunnel may be shut overnight but not sure whether tonight or tom night and until what time :unsure:

It is worth checking because when that happens ELONDON is awful which ever way you try to go.

TFL will have details.

Not that I know anything about ELondon. :whistle::whistle:

My dad asked me what side of the river it was too. I told him it's in the river, silly! He still didn't know what to do.

The car park is on the South side, just off the Woolwich Road/A206. So whichever way I go I should not need to cross the river.

I don't mind the M25, it's just an awful long way around. Going through London would be quicker if there wasn't going to be any traffic. But I think that's probably not realistic :rolleyes:

I'll look up what the Blackwall Tunnel is doing. I don't think they'd want to affect Monday morning's traffic . . . or is it not that well though out? I might have to ring my grandad and see how he feels about leaving at 7am :blink:

My dad asked me what side of the river it was too. I told him it's in the river, silly! He still didn't know what to do.

The car park is on the South side, just off the Woolwich Road/A206. So whichever way I go I should not need to cross the river.

I don't mind the M25, it's just an awful long way around. Going through London would be quicker if there wasn't going to be any traffic. But I think that's probably not realistic :rolleyes:

I'll look up what the Blackwall Tunnel is doing. I don't think they'd want to affect Monday morning's traffic . . . or is it not that well though out? I might have to ring my grandad and see how he feels about leaving at 7am :blink:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/14072.aspx

It looks like the closure is Southbound so you should be ok .

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Well we've decided to leave at 7am anyway. Apparently they open at 3am to start the annual test closure, but I think we'll give that bit a miss. The "dramatic underspill" should be at about 10am, so we should be in plenty of time for that!

Well we've decided to leave at 7am anyway. Apparently they open at 3am to start the annual test closure, but I think we'll give that bit a miss. The "dramatic underspill" should be at about 10am, so we should be in plenty of time for that!

If the Woolwich Ferry is working and you want to have a trip to the other side of the river the Barrier Park is lovely.

A great view of the barrier,nice gardens and an excellent coffee shop.Parking is free in the car park.

Take the car onto the ferry.When you come off the Ferry turn left and drive towards the airport.

Then continue towards excell.

The park is off to the left.

http://www.lda.gov.uk/projects/thames-barrier-park/index.aspx

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

I think we are going to have to come straight home really. I'm going to be driving for over 3 hours. I will have to get someone else to drive me another time, because it looks really nice. One hell of a view from the park!

Well, I picked up my grandad at 7am and we were there before 8! We had a good journey home as well, but the traffic was very bad in the opposite direction.

I was slightly underwhelmed by the "dramatic underspill," but it was nevertheless interesting to visit the Thames Barrier, and especially to see it closed and to see the gates moving.

My dad has decided he wants to vitis it now too, so hopefully I will go again with him and make him do the driving!

It's quite a nice boat trip from Greenwich. Once did from Greenwich via the Thames Barrier to Kew (two boats, change at Charing X Pier) when DS was tiny. Thought we were going to lose him over the side. It took hours.

I think we are going to have to come straight home really. I'm going to be driving for over 3 hours. I will have to get someone else to drive me another time, because it looks really nice. One hell of a view from the park!

The barrier park is not far from where I live.

So if you decide to go at some point and fancy some company for coffee let me know. :)