Sign in to follow this  
BusyLizzie100

Good book for explaining autism to 8-yr-old?

We have started talking to DS3 about his ASD. He is open to the idea, after all it's perfectly normal in our household, with two older brothers on the spectrum!

However he's in a different place to them, at the very high functioning end (I don't really like that phrase) of the spectrum and I think a book would be a good way of supporting him.

Does anyone know of a good book, with pictures preferably, aimed at his age group and the high functioning/Asperger group? He already has an idea of what autism is, but he relates that to his less-high functioning older brother and his extremely anxious Asperger brother.

This has probably been discussed before, so if there's a link that I've missed, please feel free to point me in the right direction!

Many thanks,

Lizzie xx

Hi Lizzie :)

Our son is 7 and we got a book called 'I have Autism - What's That?'. It goes through different things that autistic people may find difficult, and compares them to how a 'normal' person would deal with it. It's done in a lighthearted way, and uses simple language, so it's not too heavy or scary. You can get it, and other similar books from the National Autistic Society website - www.nas.org.uk

Hope that's helpful

Nicky >:D<<'>

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/Index.php?/topic/24992-how-to-tell-your-child/

Hi.

This link might be useful.

I posted another link on the link above that might be worth a look too with lots of ideas for books for around that age. :)

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/Index.php?/topic/22945-book-recommendations/page__p__274845__hl__information__fromsearch__1#entry274845

Edited by Karen A

Can I tell you about Asperger's Syndrome [Jude Welton]

This books really helped me talk to my 9 year old daughter and helped her to explain to me how she felt. (People are going to think I have shares in the publishers of this book if I recommend it to anyone else!!)

Can I tell you about Asperger's Syndrome [Jude Welton]

This books really helped me talk to my 9 year old daughter and helped her to explain to me how she felt. (People are going to think I have shares in the publishers of this book if I recommend it to anyone else!!)

We just got this book last week (after being recommended it on here!), it is fantastic, my son hasn't read it yet but I think it will help him a lot.