Sign in to follow this  
pyfan

Year 9 Statement Review

My son has a statement review coming up - he has just started Year 9 and will choose his options for GCSE this school year. School have said that Connexions will be involved although I thought the service was being stopped soon. My son is doing well at school so far and his statement has been sufficient (after a long battle to get it correct for the transition to High School 2 years ago). Are there any changes we might need to make or particular issues to consider at this stage - do we need to start thinking ahead as far as leaving school and going on to 6th form yet? I am not sure where Connexions comes into this and don't want to be unprepared for the meeting. Has anyone got any advice from their experiences? Thanks for any help.

The Connexions service still exists although there has been a change in who manages it.

Have you got a copy of the SEN Code of practice? If not you can download it from this link:

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/Index.php?/topic/20382-special-educational-needs-publications/

Look at para 9:51 onwards which explains about year 9 reviews and the role of Connexions in drawing up a transition plan. It's important to start to think about the future, especially what happens after your son turns 16, as the choice of provision, school or college, will affect whether or not the statement continues. Also there are various y 10/11 options which Connexions can help him to explore.

K x

Also look at the current provision in the Statement. Look at IEP targets and if they have been met. Look at the new reports for the Annual Review and any standardised assessments they have done. You need to compare them with previous assessments.

This is so you can see if progress is being made and can counter any argument for a reduction in provision.

I presume you will be submitting your parental views?

For example at my son's AR the SALT wanted to reduce her hours because some areas assessed had moved into the average range. I argued that other areas assessed were worse than the previous assessment (so he had fallen further behind), and that she found a new area of severe difficulty that was not even known previously and therefore there was no justification to reduce the SALT hours. I pointed out IEP SALT targets that were not met etc.

Think also of the examinations. Will he need extra time. Will he need any further support or help within school from LSA etc to help him complete topics etc.

Are there any new difficulties that have come to light or any deterioration or any new skills or improvements.