Sign in to follow this  
LS2242

SALT Assessment

Hi Everyone

At last we have our appointment for SALT assessment. Now that we are nearing the appointment I am getting a little nervous. I am concerned his difficultires wont be picked up on and they say, he is average for his age or something similar when I know he socially struggles, finds making conversations difficult unless about his interest and he is quite literal. I know they assess his interaction skills etc.. but how do they do this. How do they do the testing? What basically can we expect on the day?

Any insight into the process would be great.

Thanks

Hi

Not sure of the history here. Just to say that it's worth asking the SALT at the beginning of the assessment what they are going to test. Ds had three referrals to the SALT from school, and each time she tested his comprehension, and said it was fine, even though I'd told her how concerned I was about his speech and listening.

The penny finally dropped when I realised the school thought he had a comprehension problem, when it was actually an auditory processing problem. Ds takes a long time to answer a question and his teachers were assuming he didn't understand and not giving him time to respond. The SALT should have picked this up, rather than assumed the school were right, but she didn't.

I re-referred him to the SALT service myself and this time we got a much better SALT, who gave ds a much more thorough assessment and a lot of useful advice. Make sure they hear about your concerns, as well as the school's.

Hope this helps.

cb