Sign in to follow this  
baddad

Does anyone know about chip 'n' pin catflaps?

Hi Tally! :lol:

I'm sure Tally will be able to answer this, but I'm after opinions on a wider cat problem too. So:

CHIP N PIN CATFLAPS: Does anyone know if these still have a 'time delay' thingy before they open. I know on older models and the 'radio' and the magnetic versions they used to take a couple of seconds to open, and for our cat, for various reasons, it makes them impractical. Are there any models that react 'instantly' and if so which ones?

WIDER PROBLEMS (don't read if of a nervous or delicate disposition!): We've had our (rescue) cat now for about 3 years. Soon after we got her it became clear that she had a bowel problem, a vomiting problem and was a bit more timid than she appeared on a 1-1 basis at the rescue centre. I've spent a fortune on blood and other tests etc, and there's no physical problems, she just seems to have 'IBS'. She now takes steroids every other day (oh joy, what fun getting them into her) and has special diet 'WD' food. Anyhoo... on a fairly cyclic basis, usually about a month or so, I guess, she goes from being completely blocked up (which is when we get the vomiting) to having completely wet (but sort of 'under control' iykwim) diarrhoea. I can live with the vomiting, because its usually just her latest meal and a bit of slobber so a quick scoop with a wallpaper scraper and a scrub sorts it out, but the diarrhoea is now getting to be a big issue.

We have to keep her in at night, because she's scared of all the other neighbourhood cats and so they just wander in through an ordinary catflap willy nilly. We have to keep the catflap 'locked', and because of her IBS put a tray down. Mostly, that doesn't get used at all, apart from the two/three nights she's in the 'wet phase' of her IBS - but on those mornings the stench is bl00dy awful - and that has worked okay (can't say I'm happy about it, but that's how it is, iykwim) until recently. She's always been very 'prissy' about toileting, not really covering it properly and stuff (which I'm guessing, if she's had longterm IBS is kind of understandable) but on the past few visits from the diarrhoea fairy she seems to be getting a bit too casual even by her standards, and this morning, putting it as nicely as possible, there was a bit of a cleaning job to take care of. :sick::sick:

My initial thought was that this is 'the last straw' - with the best will in the world I didn't sign up for this when getting a cat, and even Ben, who loves her to bits, is now coming to the conclusion that this is really not something he can 'cope' with. But considering she sleeps every night on his bed, she is the first thing he looks for when he gets home from school etc I really don't want to admit defeat until we've tried everything - hence the question about cat-flaps above.

My other worry is that if we have to let her go, will this queer our (Ben's) pitch with the rescue centre (he's a fully signed up 'cat cuddler', and an annual member of the charidee), and will, when he's ready, we be able to get another cat from them to replace her without getting the third degree etc?

Sorry if this all sounds a bit pathetic to any non cat people out there, and sorry if the mere thought of trading her in for a new model sounds absolutely evil to some hardliners, but my thinking is she's still a young cat (she was only 18 mths or so when we got her), and given a different environment with a big garden she can access day and night without too many other cats around (doesn't help that my neighbours bought two cats themselves just after we got her - having for years had nothing more troublesome than a caged rabbit for a pet!) could be far happier and less stressed herself(?)

I'm gonna phone the cat place later and try to speak to someone who knows what they're talking about (rather than one of the volunteers who puts the 'sanctity of the cat/owner bond' above all practical considerations! :lol:) but any feedback greatly appreciated.

L&P

BD :D

I have no experience of this, but there is a really helpful lady called Silvana who runs a cat rescue near us.

If you google Romney house cat rescue you will find the details.

Maybe if you ring her, she will be able to give you honest (not sentimental) advise.

Her home is full of cats with various problems who can not be rehomed, so she is definately not going to suggest having the cat put down. (I know you didn't mention that either)

I think you are probably right, and your cat will be happier in another environment, and you are being very brave to put her needs before your own (and your son's)

Hi caci - thanks for reply.

Spoke to cat rescue, and the first suggestion, typically, 'Get a bigger litter tray'. I explained that I didn't really want a litter tray the size of a hot tub in my rather small kitchen, and that the one we had was more than adequate for a cat her size etc, explained in great detail why my bathroom, living room and bedrooms were also not living spaces into which the insertion of a paddling pool filled with cat litter would represent a viable or aestethically pleasing addition, and for a while it all got rather nagative...

Eventually, after explaining my ideas for possible solutions and expanding on them, we came up with some good, possible options, but i'll hold back on them for now in case someone else comes up with a blinder of an idea I hadn't thought of.

L&P

we have always had magnetised cat flaps, stops others coming in.

lost one cat, and then the other got in a fight and lost his magnet

we have not replaced it, and had to just get a new flap

BUT magnets are great, choice of in and out,and just your cat. I expect that cos the cat adores Ben it will come in every nite to be with him, ours comes in, but is not allowed upstairs cos i mean!

now tho i have all sorts of cats creeping up on me during the day cos they can get in.

I've just bought one of those cat flaps but I haven't installed it yet so I don't know how quickly it will react. If your cat does run full pelt at the cat flap, there will be nothing that will open that quickly. I will ask around and get back to you on that one. They often have a system to close the flap sooner to prevent another cat following them straight in, but you can never completely prevent this. Most of them restrict entry only, and will allow any cat to go out.

Regarding the toiletting problems, many cats have a problem with commercial cat foods because it's highly processed and full of stuff that wild cats do not eat - not just artifical additives, grain is a huge problem. A more natural cat food with a very high meat content might be better on the stomach. They are more expensive, up to twice the price of something like Whiskas, but your cat will not need as much in order to get the nutrients she needs. You might find it doesn't work out much more expensive after all. Bozita and Encore do not contain any grain, I am not sure about Nature's Diet, it might also be worth looking at. Zooplus is a pretty good website as they list all the ingredients.

If anxiety seems to be a problem, then it seems sensible to address that with the chip-reading cat flap. Even if things simply do not work out with this cat, it's sensible for the long term to prevent other cats form coming into your house. Cats have two parts to their territory. The home range is the place where they eat and rest and need to feel very safe. This is likely to consist of the inside of your house. The wider territory is often shared with other cats, and it is not so important to keep other cats out of this area. If you can keep them out of the house, she may not be too concerned about them using the garden.

Another thing to consider is a closed in litter tray. They tend to be quite good for containing "explosions." You can get some that are completely enclosed with a flap, but the smell can build up inside and put the cat off using them, so I'd go for one without a flap and you might just have to put up with the smell. I don't think a bigger, or extra, litter tray is the issue here, because she is making at attempt to use the one you are already providing. If she were going in other places then that is normally the first suggestion, but that's not what is happening here.

:rolleyes:

I've just bought one of those cat flaps but I haven't installed it yet so I don't know how quickly it will react. If your cat does run full pelt at the cat flap, there will be nothing that will open that quickly. I will ask around and get back to you on that one. They often have a system to close the flap sooner to prevent another cat following them straight in, but you can never completely prevent this. Most of them restrict entry only, and will allow any cat to go out.

Regarding the toiletting problems, many cats have a problem with commercial cat foods because it's highly processed and full of stuff that wild cats do not eat - not just artifical additives, grain is a huge problem. A more natural cat food with a very high meat content might be better on the stomach. They are more expensive, up to twice the price of something like Whiskas, but your cat will not need as much in order to get the nutrients she needs. You might find it doesn't work out much more expensive after all. Bozita and Encore do not contain any grain, I am not sure about Nature's Diet, it might also be worth looking at. Zooplus is a pretty good website as they list all the ingredients.

If anxiety seems to be a problem, then it seems sensible to address that with the chip-reading cat flap. Even if things simply do not work out with this cat, it's sensible for the long term to prevent other cats form coming into your house. Cats have two parts to their territory. The home range is the place where they eat and rest and need to feel very safe. This is likely to consist of the inside of your house. The wider territory is often shared with other cats, and it is not so important to keep other cats out of this area. If you can keep them out of the house, she may not be too concerned about them using the garden.

Another thing to consider is a closed in litter tray. They tend to be quite good for containing "explosions." You can get some that are completely enclosed with a flap, but the smell can build up inside and put the cat off using them, so I'd go for one without a flap and you might just have to put up with the smell. I don't think a bigger, or extra, litter tray is the issue here, because she is making at attempt to use the one you are already providing. If she were going in other places then that is normally the first suggestion, but that's not what is happening here.

Loads of great advice there - and from others too, so thanks all :thumbs:

Have already come to the conclusion that 'chip n pin' flap is the way to go if poss., but as these are so expensive I'll probably 'trial' her with a cheapo magnetic one first. If the two second delay is gonna be a problem, I'd rather find out on a twenty quid flap than a 100 quid one, and she always has a collar anyway so that part won't be a prob. Maybe, if that works fine I'll save the other 80.00 anyway!

The closed in litter tray is a brilliant idea - so simple, WDITOT? Doh! I can prob get one that fits her existing box too as it's an 'official' one, so maybe tomorrow we'll have a looksee...

The other idea I had was to knock up an outdoor 'kennel' (like the looby lu one) with a magnet flap on too. That might help her feel less stressed when outside (she likes it outside but is getting more and more of a wimp), if she knows she only has to jump off the kennel 'roof' and through the flap to be safe - I'm even toying with the idea of a 'split level' one like those rabbit/chicken runs you get! :lol: Colour telly (with 'Top Cat' on DVD)... Jacuzzi... you get the idea... give me an excuse to get the workmate out...

She's on 'Hills prescription diet WD' dry formula evenings, but she's not that keen (hates the WD tinned meat so don't even go there!) so we give her Felix poultry in jelly in the morning - which we were told would be a 'good compromise' as no gravy and not too heavy (?). If we try to just give her WD she'll go bin sniffing instead, which is even worse than Felix. Any other suggestions very welcome :)

Anyhoo, feeling much more confident than i was this morning and a lot less guilty, so thanks :notworthy:

thinking about it... Bowel disorder, special diet, poor social skills, active but odd.... There's maybe a very good reason why she and ben get on so well! :lol: Trust me to end up with a Special Needs cat :oops: Do you think I can get DLA for her 'cos she's costing me a ******* fortune!

Thanks again, and apologies to any non cat-people who are thinking I must be mental! No apologies to those who just think I'm mental :shame:

L&P

re your PS - that's what I meant by the 'chip 'n' pin'...

She's on 'Hills prescription diet WD' dry formula evenings, but she's not that keen (hates the WD tinned meat so don't even go there!) so we give her Felix poultry in jelly in the morning - which we were told would be a 'good compromise' as no gravy and not too heavy (?). If we try to just give her WD she'll go bin sniffing instead, which is even worse than Felix.

If she's not so keen, try giving her it for breakfast, as she'll likely be hungrier then. Am not a huge fan of Hills anyway. It's full of grain. The WD diet is especially high in fibre (I'm guessing grain rather than bone/skin), and is recommended for cats suffering from constipation . . . probably not too helpful for the diarrhoea.

A little oil added to her food may help with the constipation.

WHat are the steroids supposed to be doing?

I think you have every right to be angry with this rescue. Surely they must have known about this problem before you took on the resposibility of this cat and it is only right that they should have given you a full history of this pet. Was it a well known charity eg Cats Potection or RSPCA ? You are right, you did not sign up for an incontinent cat and I don't think you you should feel bad about returning him either. Any decent charity should willingly take back an animal if there is a danger of the cat-owner realtionship breaking down over such issues. I often think that when we hear stories of cats dumped in bags and chucked in ponds that it is done by those who are afraid they might get the 3rd degree if they take it to a Rescue. The rescues should be aware of this and take the cat back without making you feel guilty.

What breed is your cat. I know Persians are susceptible to neurosis and often have toileting issues. I once had a persian cat who was peeing by the front entrance after she was frightened by someone banging loudly on the door. It got to the point where, in deperation I phoned Cats Protection and they gave me lots of good advice. I managed eventually to get her "clean." Of course I realise each cat is different and yours has "IBS" which can psychological in origin.

I think, that if you throw water over the invading cat, he should eventually get the message that he has strayed onto the wrong turf.

Can the vet recommend cat foods? There are some good brands which you can buy in Pet shops eg Royal Canin, Techni-Kal and Science Plan. Adding dried food to the diet might help but they must have plenty of water nearby. My persian used to eat Royal Canin for persian cats and her stools would sometimes be too dry and I would have to give her a kitty malt paste to keep her "well oiled" and prevent hairballs. It is best to avoid the cat foods found in supermarkets. The dried food can be supplemented with whatever meat the family are eating that night but cook it seperately so it does not contain salt and other additives they should avoid.

Best of luck.I hope you get this problem resolved soon.

I think you have every right to be angry with this rescue. Surely they must have known about this problem before you took on the resposibility of this cat and it is only right that they should have given you a full history of this pet. Was it a well known charity eg Cats Potection or RSPCA ? You are right, you did not sign up for an incontinent cat and I don't think you you should feel bad about returning him either. Any decent charity should willingly take back an animal if there is a danger of the cat-owner realtionship breaking down over such issues. I often think that when we hear stories of cats dumped in bags and chucked in ponds that it is done by those who are afraid they might get the 3rd degree if they take it to a Rescue. The rescues should be aware of this and take the cat back without making you feel guilty.

Hi Jannih - She came from Cat Protection, and sorry if i gave the impression, but we're not angry with them about the cat (but that said their 'pushy' attitude/expectations of new owners is very off-putting when things go wrong. It's not the cat's fault, sure, but it's not necessarily the owners either :angry: ). In reality, they probably didn't have any idea that Tabs had IBS - she was a very recent new rescue, and they thought a fairly recent new 'stray' because she wasn't very streetwise and hadn't gone feral or anything. All they / we saw was that she was a bit timid, very affectionate, loved lots of 1 - 1 attention and a real softy. We actually chose her for those qualities, because our last cat - while equally lovely - was a mouse murdering, free-spirited tear-away who got herself run over crossing to the fields opposite our home to look for moles :tearful: . In the month or so she was with the CPL they probably only ever saw the 'cycle' of IBS once or maybe twice, and it would have been easy for them to think that was stress induced after the rescue, or even - if it was different staff shifts - not to have noticed at all.

They undoubtedly would 'take her back' if pushed (and in one way I guess they do have to be a bit pushy 'cos they don't want people just casually toing and froing cats which, lets face it, is how some people are with pets), but they do lay the guilt on, and that's not helpful when people are genuinely giving it their best shot. :(

Tally - Hills diet recommended by vet, the theory being that extra fibre would help her to stop getting bunged up in the first place, which is the 'start' of the cycle. Sound in theory, but hasn't really worked. If you know any other good brands we could try...The steroids are to help 'fortify' her system, with the same objective. It's a very low dose, and for about a year does seem to have been a help if not a cure. The 'cycle' was defintely taking longer a while ago, but seems to be getting back up to speed again now. Dunno - maybe school hols haven't helped? It's meant two lots of readjustment, and while next doors boys were home during the day has meant the two (newish) cats next door have been out and about a lot more?

Right - off to golf with son!

L&P

If you google "grain free cat food," it should come up with some good options. Beware of potatoes and other vegetables though. Even if they are organic, home grown, sung to and steamed in a kitchen cleaned to human-grade standards, they are still not part of a cat's natural diet. But they may be gentler on the stomach than grain, so don't rule them out altogether. You do need some additives because when you cook meat you alter its nutrient content, so don't expect to find 100% meat. Anything above 60% meat is going to be an improvement, but you're best going for the highest meat content you can afford (up to about 98%) - bearing in mind that your cat will eat less the higher the meat content.

Bozita wet food (not the dry), Porta 21 grain free (dry) and Encore (dry food and wet sachets and treats) all come highly recommended by Mitzi. She eats mostly Bozita and seems to be doing well on it. The vet is impressed with the improvement anyway. There's also one called Animonda Carny that looks good, but which Mitzi hasn't tried yet. You'll need to go online for all of them except the Encore - you'll have to go to Sainsbury's for that.

Remember that any change in diet can upset the stomach, so things could actually get worse for a day or two.

RE: the cat flaps. Apparently they do react immediately the cat puts its head close. There can be a problem if the cat is used to pushing the flap open with the paws instead of the head, as it won't open unless the head is close enough, but they normally get used to this and work it out soon enough. I reckon if you put her out and a dish of tuna just inside the door she would work it out fairly quickly.

Wot a bleeding muppet! Went to CPL yesterday to buy a covered litter tray, thinking they would do a lid for the 'official' CPL one. Well they didn't but did have some hugely expensive ones with lids, and though I knew they would be charging a 'bit' of a premium for them I thought, well we're here, they've got it, we need it for tonight, so...

Just looked on amazon, and that 'bit' of a premium was over 100% :angry::angry:

That's the last time, charidee or no charidee, I ever buy from them, the robbing swine! :lol:

And yes, I did think it was bl00dy expensive at the time, but then stuff for pets is, isn't it. Lesson to self - check on the internet BEFORE going shopping...

Tally - thanks for the food tips. I'll have a nose and do some experimentation.

L&P

BD (skint)