Sign in to follow this  
Lab Pet

Hi from the shy Lab Pet - Glasgow

Good to meet you all - from Glasgow. Specifically, the University of Glasgow where my PhD programme is situated. My official start date is 23/09 (neuroscience). Autumn is my favourite season; I am settling in quite well.

I am very shy and do not yet no anyone, except those in my laboratory/science dept. - they are great! Although I'll not have much free time to post on this forum, I thought to register and greet other ASD individuals. (My Dx is Asperger's Syndrome). Originally I am from Alaska (the Interior) so I do not know others yet. I am analytically minded but, at the same time, a very sensitive and shy/quiet Aspie.

I may know some of you already; I served as moderator of the Wrong Planet forum online - due to academic obligations I am no longer an active moderator. I appreciate this forum as it's local ASD individuals and I like your posts and interests.

Hi Lab Pet and Welcome to the forum. :)

I would think Glasgow is a change from Alaska.

Are you an ice hockey fan at all ?

We were fans but after both the teams near us in London no longer had a base we are currently team less.

I think Glasgow do have a team though.

Karen.

Thank you for your welcome. Correct in that Alaska is distinct, but this is a happy move - I love my programme and this opportunity would not have been possible where I am from. I love the UK and I've been here before, plus I have familial heritage in Europe.

Ice hockey....I'm not much of a sports fan, but hockey is cool. Alaska and Canada are tops in hockey, as you might imagine. In Glasgow, football is so popular - I guess I'll need to read the news to catch-up!

Oh, the UK National Autistic Society (NAS) visits the University of Glasgow at least weekly and they are wonderful - great resource. I'll try to not be so shy.

Hello and welcome. :) I'm also a PhD student - final year - arrgghh! I shouldn't have time to post regularly, but, well, hmmm... :whistle::ph34r:

I would think Glasgow is a change from Alaska.

No, I would suggest they're pretty similar - both are cold and in neither can I understand the locals. :devil:

but hockey is cool.

Of course - it's played on ice. :rolleyes::lol:

Hi Lab Pet and welcome to the forums. I'm across the other side of the country from you but it's not any warmer!:D

Thank you for your welcome. Correct in that Alaska is distinct, but this is a happy move - I love my programme and this opportunity would not have been possible where I am from. I love the UK and I've been here before, plus I have familial heritage in Europe.

Ice hockey....I'm not much of a sports fan, but hockey is cool. Alaska and Canada are tops in hockey, as you might imagine. In Glasgow, football is so popular - I guess I'll need to read the news to catch-up!

Oh, the UK National Autistic Society (NAS) visits the University of Glasgow at least weekly and they are wonderful - great resource. I'll try to not be so shy.

My husband and son are debating whether to change our broadband package so that we can watch some proper ice hockey. :whistle::whistle::lol:

The nearest thing we get was to watch the woman who used to deal with the very badly behaved players at The London Racers home games being ref in the winter Olympics.

Sorry to go off on a tangent but we loved the London Racers and have never found a better outlet for our frustration since they no longer have a home. :(

I think there may be Ice Hockey in Glasgow if you are desperate.

They are very big on football in Glasgow too but don't expect all out punch ups in the dug out or outright violent conduct. :rolleyes:

Thank you all - So much to learn yet & Glasgow is lovely (& plenty much warmer than Alaska). As Mumble wrote, PhD programme is time-consuming...sigh. But so worth it. Although I am shy & academically oriented, I will try to met others locally. Everyone here is really nice.

The Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum is a favourite of mine already; I love that I can practically anywhere :robbie:

Now, I'll need to check out this forum a bit more (it's Sunday night, afterall). Have a good week, everyone, and stay busy. And warm, Jota .