Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Mental Health Assessment

Northumberland Psychiatrist came out to see Glen at home today, the 12 week mental health assessment could go ahead there, I will know more next week, but it looks promising. They try various therapies during this assessment, i.e. art therapy, sensory therapy. Art therapy sounds very interesting indeed. I haven't been sure about this assessment as many of you will remember but it does sound extremely good and hopefully will help help to be better in his self being.

Thanks, its not going to be an easy decision to make though I am concerned about Glen going back again once he is home for Christmas, its going to be hard to get him there in the first place without having to do it all again after Christmas, so I need to have a long hard think about it before they ring me next week.

Thanks, its not going to be an easy decision to make though I am concerned about Glen going back again once he is home for Christmas, its going to be hard to get him there in the first place without having to do it all again after Christmas, so I need to have a long hard think about it before they ring me next week.

So the mental health assessment means the the child is not living at home ? I ask because my son is due this very soon. We would not be happy at all if our son was asked to live elsewhere.

Yes a mental health assessment normally means your child would go away for a period of time whilst they are being assessed by professionals. Glen (if he were to go) would be going to a unit which is part of the Prudhoe Hospital in Northumberland. They only have 3 or 4 inpatients at a time, have their own bedroom, living room kitchen etc, the unit is basically like a bungalow. Glen would receive art therapy, sensory therapy and his medication would be looked into to see if he needs a different medication to what he is on now or whether the dosage of his current medication needs to change. Glen would also receive schooling daily.

12 weeks away from home is a long time. Northumberland is a 5.1/2 hour drive from where we are, we would not be in a position to have Glen home at the weekends, if you lived nearer then this would happen. I really don't know what to do, I have actually asked this morning if the assessment could be postponed until after Christmas so that Glen wouldn't come home in the middle of the 12 weeks as I am really worried that we wouldn't be able to get him back again.

Yes a mental health assessment normally means your child would go away for a period of time whilst they are being assessed by professionals. Glen (if he were to go) would be going to a unit which is part of the Prudhoe Hospital in Northumberland. They only have 3 or 4 inpatients at a time, have their own bedroom, living room kitchen etc, the unit is basically like a bungalow. Glen would receive art therapy, sensory therapy and his medication would be looked into to see if he needs a different medication to what he is on now or whether the dosage of his current medication needs to change. Glen would also receive schooling daily.

12 weeks away from home is a long time. Northumberland is a 5.1/2 hour drive from where we are, we would not be in a position to have Glen home at the weekends, if you lived nearer then this would happen. I really don't know what to do, I have actually asked this morning if the assessment could be postponed until after Christmas so that Glen wouldn't come home in the middle of the 12 weeks as I am really worried that we wouldn't be able to get him back again.

Hi Jeanne - tough decision but I can see advantages/disadvantages to both...

Considering the distance and that he won't be able to come home at weekends 12 weeks without any breaks might be tough for you regardless of how well it might be going for Glen. If all is going well, then the worry you have about getting him back after Christmas is a moot point (provided Glen is aware of where he's going) - he might shock you by jumping on the bus without a backward glance! Christmas could also provide a welcome break from what sounds like quite an intensive programme even if it's a programme he's enjoying...

The flipside, other than the possible problem of 'going back' you mention is that Christmas would be an interruption to the intervention and what could be some fairly serious 'tweaking' of medication etc, and that could make the 'long haul' of 12 weeks with no interruption more beneficial.

i think probably the best course of action would be to make a long list of possible positives/negatives for both scenarios and discuss them with the hospital (NB - probably a good idea to remove the name of the clinic from your post if it's open for editing still, or ask the mods to do so). Hopefully they'll have covered most of the concerns that crop up on previous Q&A's, and will be able to reassure you whichever way you decide to go.

Very best with your tough decision, and really hope it proves a positive period for all concerned

L&P

BD

Thanks for your very welcome comments. My husband and I are going to make a list of the positives and negatives over the weekend. We would have to get Glen there which would probably be by car which would mean as its a long way probably drive half way and stay somewhere overnight then drive the rest of the way the next morning to the hospital.

Glen would not be aware of where he was going, he just hasn't got the understanding so we wouldn't be able to tell him, in fact he has always been such an anxious child that going new places have been a nightmare to be honest with you so you can see my concerns!

Hi, I heard from the psychiatrist from Prudhoe today and they do want to take Glen for this assessment, they've invited my husband and I to the pre-administration meeting so we can have a look round and see what we think to it. They do want Glen to come home after 6 weeks to see what he is like at home. Glen could go be admitted in November and then come home for the Christmas weekend. I am worried about that though, getting him back again etc. but it is something we would have to go through if we go ahead with the assessment.

Hi, I heard from the psychiatrist from Prudhoe today and they do want to take Glen for this assessment, they've invited my husband and I to the pre-administration meeting so we can have a look round and see what we think to it. They do want Glen to come home after 6 weeks to see what he is like at home. Glen could go be admitted in November and then come home for the Christmas weekend. I am worried about that though, getting him back again etc. but it is something we would have to go through if we go ahead with the assessment.

Hi Jeanne -

I don't think there's much advice I can offer other than, with regards to christmas and going back, cross that bridge if and when...

You've got enough on your plate to think about now, so concentrate on that.

Very very best with that pre-admin meeting, and i really hope it brings some positives for all concerned.

L&P

BD

Thanks for your comments. I have just found out that another parent at the school my son attends is going to have an assessment at the Prudhoe hospital, its not the same assessment as Glen will have but it would be good to try and get in touch with her to get her feelings on the hospital as she has been there to have a look around.

I have heard that the date for the pre-administration meeting is November 30th. I will be able to look around the unit at the hospital and to ask questions etc. I can still pull out if I feel it is suitable for the assessment to go ahead.

Hi Jeanne

Another member, mandyque, posted about her daughter's assessment at this hospital - see thread below. I don't know if she's around here much but you could try pm- ing her:

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/Index.php?/topic/14782-prudhoe-hospital/page__p__176551__hl__prudhoe__fromsearch__1#entry176551

K x

Hi yes I am in contact with Mandy thanks, her comments have been very helpful. :D