Sign in to follow this  
blue71

hi

hi

i was at my gp's yesterday and he wants to refer me to a psychologist to see if i have aspergers, im worried and dont know what to expect if i do decide to go ahead with the referal. what kind of things do they want to know ? is it a case of ticking boxes on a form or is it like a one to one ? x

hya blue and welcome,

i cant really help as im awaiting testing for my 14 yr old, i was told because of his age he would have a team assessing him instead of a paediatrician but im sure someone will be along who is more knowledgable

amanda

Hiya Blue,

I went through an intial assessment for depression which, subsequently, led to an AS assessment referal, so your more-direct-route experience might differ a little.

If it is anything like mine earlier this year, it'll probably involve a meeting with the shrink-type, approximately 2 hours long: half spent asking you a long series of questions (about your childhood, how do certain things/situations make you feel, etc), whilst the other hour will consist of them interviewing someone who knows you very well, such as parents or long-term partner; presumably asking them similar questions but from their perspective.

It can get personal but, over all, it's pretty painless. The hardest part for me was beforehand - bringing it up with and explaining it to my parents, then asking them if they could attend.

Depending on what brought you to the doctor's, for them to diagnose AS as a possibility, knowing for certain either way will help determine ways of helping you deal with those issues.

Just be prepared to be patient. If your health authority's like mine, you'll be in for quite a wait for appointments.

Hope that helps but if you need to know anything more specific, feel free to ask.

Cheers.