westie

A History of Autism. Conversations with the pioneers, by Adam Feinstein

Spotted this on a google search, thought it looked like POSSIBLY an interesting book so decided rather than invest almost 30 quid I could not afford I would see if local library had a copy, or could loan a copy from the British library...

anyway they bought a copy and phoned me and I am now about half way through it and finding it very interesting reading.

Its not "easy reading style" but is very interesting, mentioning a lot of famous names in the autism world and I have actually found out a lot about the first people to work with, or study children with autism, or to develop programs or methods relating to helping people with autism (TEACCH AND LOVAAS). There are a lot of conflicting theories regarding the causes- some relating to different countries, and the languages that papers relating to autism studies have been translated into.... the refrigerator mother theory still persists even now in some countries because Bruno Bettelheims book "the empty fortress" was the first/ only book about autism that had been translated into their language....

He's one of the leaders of the Cardiff conference, i havent met him but have heard nothing but praise about him.

if you can access the local library I would recomments having a look to see if they have/ can order his book. Someone sponsored him to go round the world and talk to experts in many countries and he has as a result put together this book which looks at the very early history, how things have progressed (in different countries) pioneering treatment in the past and current trends. I have enjoyed what I have read so far although is is far from being a novel, and there is no way with one read that I will remember all the prominent names, though I do recognise some from papers and information I have read before.

I found this book very interesting and informative too, and would recommend it to anyone interested in the history of autism research or autism support organisations. It's a valuable addition to the field. Thought the author could have gone into more depth regarding why there have been controversies over theories; it's rarely just a case of one party being right and one being wrong, or just of people having different opinions. But perhaps that's for another book.

Prompted me into reading Richard Pollack's excellent biography of Bruno Bettelheim. Pollack's book does read more like a novel. It has everything a blockbuster writer could ask for; Vienna between the wars, psychoanalysis, Hitler, concentration camps, immigration, marital infidelity, child abuse and politics. But it's a solidly researched book and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the history of psychoanalysis and approaches to child development. Bettelheim doesn't come out well from either book. I noticed Adam Feinstein was still trying to tackle the view that parents cause autism, in an Italian publication, less than a decade ago.

cb