Sign in to follow this  
cmuir

Son keeps losing his temper and is downright destructive

Hi

My little angel was on my laptop playing a game, got frustrated and battered the screen ... and smashed it. It's an apple macbook pro - £2k worth! Got IT guys at my work to look at it and the cost of replacing the screen simply isn't worth the bother (£900 +). Kiddo denies having done anything other than touching a button, but the look on his face says otherwise. Also, he repeatedly either hits himself, hubby, me and frequently his/punches his DS lite screen. I'm beyond being angry. Just feel like he's given me yet another example of how bad his behaviour can be. So, now I know why NAS keep sending me insurance cover leaflets, etc. Sure as heck can't tell my insurance company that kiddo battered it. This sounds bad, but I want kiddo to realise what he's done both in terms of monetary value and implications (i.e. no computer to play games, etc). Also, just discovered that I have heart problems - can't think why!!!

C.

Hi.

Sorry about your hear problems. :(

I am just wondering.

.If your son tends to get frustrated and hit computers why do you allow him to use your apple macbook pro ?

Ben also hits his legs when he is frustrated and has been known to misstreat the control for the x box.However we would not let him have access to our home computer if he was likely to break it.I am not sure at the time that Ben would be able to use the information about implications to not become frustrated in future.He is not generally challenging but some games do get him frustrated....I would not trust him around expensive equipment.

There are some games that get Ben more worked up than others but if he becomes too worked up he knows he will have to stop playing.We have also refused to buy games which we know he will not manage well.

We now have a practical home PC.We would not spend £2k on a computer as my husband would then have a nervous breakdown if I used it never mind Ben. :o:)

Karen.

Once i went gf/cf for about a year my outbursts disappeared. Also benzoate was one of the worst triggers for my behaviour.

Also anger can be a sign of depression, in me being very angry (now verbally rather than physically). The NAS has a current

child mental health campaign, http://www.autism.org.uk/en-gb/get-involved/campaign-for-change/our-campaigns/you-need-to-know.aspx

Hi.

Sorry about your hear problems. :(

I am just wondering.

.If your son tends to get frustrated and hit computers why do you allow him to use your apple macbook pro ?

Karen.

He's never done this before. He's was fully aware that he's to be respectful of others people's things particularly if they cost a lot of money. Trust and responsibility is something that has to be earned which he did and so was allowed to play a game. In the four years I've had the computer (it has to be an apple because my profession dictates apples are industry-standard and I simply don't have the money to buy a much cheaper PC second-hand or otherwise), R has never misued it. Still, lesson learnt for me.

sounds like your kid is majorly .... annoyed with something other than a computer game. I know its half term (well here anyway) and he might not be at school where there is a problem this week, but perhaps there's something which has been brewing up inside him? I used to get like that myself and still do now, i don't have to be say at work or college but if something has happened it p..... me off then it gets embedded in my mind and then it makes me aggressive in the house and hostile towards in-animate objects (apart from my guitars...) I used to be like that when i was younger and still have influences of it now....

sounds like your kid is majorly .... annoyed with something other than a computer game. I know its half term (well here anyway) and he might not be at school where there is a problem this week, but perhaps there's something which has been brewing up inside him? I used to get like that myself and still do now, i don't have to be say at work or college but if something has happened it p..... me off then it gets embedded in my mind and then it makes me aggressive in the house and hostile towards in-animate objects (apart from my guitars...) I used to be like that when i was younger and still have influences of it now....

Hi

Thanks for your insightful response. I can see where you're coming from.

Caroline.

He's never done this before. He's was fully aware that he's to be respectful of others people's things particularly if they cost a lot of money. Trust and responsibility is something that has to be earned which he did and so was allowed to play a game. In the four years I've had the computer (it has to be an apple because my profession dictates apples are industry-standard and I simply don't have the money to buy a much cheaper PC second-hand or otherwise), R has never misued it. Still, lesson learnt for me.

Oh dear.Sorry it is an expensive lesson to learn. :tearful:

Karen.