Sign in to follow this  
sawjd

chewing meat

Hello everyone,

We are still trying to get our K to eat meat. Its still difficult. He will eat sausage as he doesn't have to chew it hardly. Its mainly soft foods and the dietician has said about getting him to eat protein which is in other things like eggs . I have always thought eggs (like bananas) can bind your stomach a bit which obviously doesn't help his constipation. K still refuses to eat fruit and veg (occasionally baked beans and best of both bread and high fibre pasta). Tonight he blocked the toilet ( i had to use a cotton mop head to unblock the toilet)

Has anyone been successful in getting their children to chew or eat meat. Not sure about liquidising it again, really thought we got passed that stage. Sunday dinners he will just have mash and beans and yorkshire pudding. I mix gravy with vegetable juice and he doesn't taste that properly so thats the only way i get vegetable juice in him. He is having movicol (laxative) still and i will probably have to up the dose for him. He does drink water and orange juice and apple juice. The dietician has said he needs more. Not sure what else we can do.

Any suggestions, thanks

best wishes

sarni

DS is 10 now and eats most meats happily :thumbs: He also hated to chew when he was younger,but basicaly we just kept presenting him with meat every couple of days and insisted he "try one mouthful". We've used the same prinicple on all foods, and he even eats some fruit and veg now (although I don't think he will ever bite an apple - although he will eat it cut up). We also did quite a lot of nutrution education with him, as he is able to understand the theory well. A terrible bout of constipation was always a good moment to comment on his lack f fruit & veg intake. We have also informed ALL of the kids that their tastes will change over time, and that even if they don't like food A, they have to kep trying it as they might like it later.

DS took a lot longer to get there than the NT kids, but the same prinicple works with all children. Just keep trying :lol:

We had great problems getting DS to eat meat when he was younger. Now... his favourite thing is chicken.

I cut the meat up into tiny tiny bits before giving it to him, so he didn't have to chew much initially. We then gave him rewards (pennies in DS case..worked at the time as he'd just got a new piggy bank) for eating a certain number of bits. Started off with one or two, building it up over time and we made a HUGE fuss when he ate it. He now LOVES white meat and fish, although red meat is still a bit of an issue if its not minced.

I hope you find a solution, i know it can be worrying if you can't get your child to eat certain foods.

Lisa xx