Sign in to follow this  
Allansmum

Annual review

Hi there

When you recieve all the written advice for the annual review. What is it? Is it the reports that proffessional have written following visits to your children? Or is it similar to the form that the parents are sent asking for there views. Is it a particular form?

All ive ever recieved in the past is copies of reports that are sent after a visit from the proffessional. Is that right?

Our review is less than a fortnight away now, and we've recieved nothing. The school know that i want the statement updated, new difficulties added and provision to match these difficulties.

Asked class teacher about the written advice today and she knows nothing about it.

I dont have a clue whats going on and I dont want to go to this meeting blind.

Hi,

Any reports that are to be submitted for the Annual Review have to be circulated (by law) at least two weeks before the meeting. Many schools do not do this.

Prior to this period, relevant professionals may assess your child to aid their reports. So you might have Ed Psych reports, Speech and Lang, OT, Physio etc. There should definitely be a school report.

You want things added to the statement - do you have proof for this? Are these new needs mentioned in any professional reports? Do the school/professionals support your view?

If you do not have enough evidence and the LEA refuse to amend the statement following the Annual Review, you now have the right of appeal. If you were to go down that route, you then have time to get professionals to assess your child, possibly independent reports that you would have to pay for.

Please bear in mind however, that once you 'open up' the statement, you are also in danger of having things removed. In theory, this should only happen if the need is no longer there, but that might be something again that you have to challenge by appealing to a tribunal.

In other words, be very careful if you do not have professional advice supporting what you want.

Following the Annual Review the school have 10 days to send their report from the Annual Review Meeting itself and then the LEA should decide whether or not to amend the statement. There is no legal time limit for this (they have 1 week to let you know their decision,once a decision is made, but no time limit for making the decision; however they are duty bound to act reasonably and so possibly two weeks might be considered reasonable).

Hope that makes sense!

Best of luck/x

Edited by Grace

Hi thanks for the reply.

The statement was written when ds was 3 years old. He'll be 7 in Jan and it hasnt changed at all. He was non verbal, but now he is talking. But has loads of difficulties, speech sounds, processing difficulties etc. There is no provision for these. Provision in statement is all for non verbal, using makaton, visuals etc. Oblivously these still need to stay in the statement, but i want things added for the new problems. These difficulties are all in the reports from the salt. The only thing in the reports from the salt was to use the nuffield programme. Can that be written into the statement? Senco says no, specific programme are not named in statements, is that correct?

Edited by Allansmum

Hi,

Makaton is a unique language programme offering a structured, multi-modal approach, using signs and symbols, for the teaching of communication, language and ...

The Senco says you can't have programmes in a statement, but you have 'Makaton' in there?!

I think she might not want you to change the statement.

Pull out of the Speech and Language report those sentences that you would like inserted in Parts 2 and 3. Write a letter stating you would like your DS's statement amended to include those changes and hand it in at the Annual Review meeting.

If they refuse, you will then have to decide if it is worth appealing and for me that would depend on whether you believe the school will follow the programme without it being in the statement. It could be that their staff are not trained in this programme and/or do not have the resources that go along with it (don't know the programme, so don't know what is involved)and that is why there is resistance.

You could ask them about their experience of this programme in the meeting, so take someone with you to take notes. Best of luck/x

The Statement has to be specific so that everyone knows what they should do and so you can challenge non-compliance if that happens. How can you do that if you have no idea what the Statement actually provides?

The Code of Practice (section 8) and IPSEA.org website has alot about detailing every need and quantifying and specifying how to meet each need.

My son's Statement does name certain programmes, approaches, ICT software, hours of professional inpt in terms of therapy and hours for admin. It should all be in there.

What is also VERY important is how it is worded. For example "XXX should have access to a programme such as the Nuffield programme", do not mean it will happen. And you could not challenge the LEA and win because it ways "access to" and "such as". What it should say is that "XXXX will be supported by the use of the Nuffield programme in school." I don't actually know what that is, but it should also say something like "this programme will be delivered daily in school by xxxxxxx (a suitably qualified TA? or a suitably qualified Speech Therapist?) The Speech Therapist will train all school staff and parents in the use of this programme. This programme will be detailed in his daily timetable and progress will be monitored via the IEP process using SMART targets. The SALT will review this programme on a (termly/fortnightly?) basis.

As Grace says, if you appeal the LEA may remove support, but they have to have professional reports that state it is no longer required. However if they do remove it and refuse to reinstate it, you have to go to tribunal anway to get it back in place along with the additions you seek.

Hi, just wanted to add that your child's school may be not be au fait with the correct processes themselves.

I have heard of children in some schools where the Senco has never, for example, applied for a statement before, or has little experience in the annual review process. the class teacher is likely to know even less.

At my middle son's old school we never got reports until the meeting itself, which doesn't give enough time to read and digest them. You have a legal right to ask for reports BEFORE the meeting, it should be two week as above. The school should prepare their report but it is not the final report; it should give information about your child's progress but the final report should incorporate the contents of the meeting, including any contradictions in recommendations.

You can, in theory, reject any reports that are produced at the meeting as they weren't available 2 weeks before, but in practice that's hard because as parents we want to know what the professionals are saying!!

I had an annual review meeting for my eldest son last week and the autism advisory teacher produced her report as we were waiting to go in. I did say it was a bit late but she just laughed it off. fortunately it was a brief report but actually very useful!

Also, you write as much as you want about your child, if you haven't done so already. You don't have to stick to the silly little form they give you. and you can also write in again AFTER the meeting with your views, which should be incorporated in the paperwork that the school then sends in to the LA.

If you feel really unsure about things, there are organisations such as IPSEA and ACE and tha NAS education advocacy helplines that are really helpful, and can give you free advice over the phone - just google them.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Lizzie x

Hi.

You could try talking to the SALT before the AR to obtain more information about the Nuffield programme such as whether it is already used in the school , how much training would be needed and whether TAs are likely to be able to carry it out with or without traing.That might give you an idea of likely opinions at AR.Also ask that the SALT be invited.

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/advice-about-education-for-parents/advice-booklets-and-briefings/understanding-annual-reviews

This might be useful too.

http://www.autism.org.uk/Living-with-autism/Education/Primary-and-secondary-school/Extra-help-for-your-child-in-school/Extra-help-in-school-England-and-wales/Annual-review-England-Wales.aspx

and this one.

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Hi,

If they try to ambush you with a report you have not seen before, at the last minute, you can refuse to allow it in as part of the Annual Review, BUT you can still allow it to be circulated after the Annual Review. The difference will be if for instance the statement is amended. If it is, any reports submitted as part of the AR will be attached. The risk in allowing a late report in, is that you do not have chance to view it, discuss it with other (independent)professionals and send in your response to any comments in that report - which is exactly why they should provide it two weeks beforehand.

It can be awkward to refuse it, but believe me they will remember to get it in on time the next year - afterall, they have a whole year's notice, so there is really no excuse for a last minute report.

I can understand if it is a standard review, with no amendments expected or important decisions, you might not want to make a fuss, but you might walk into something you don't expect which might be the reason why they don't want you to see the report beforehand!Some professionals are just over-whelmed with work and leave it to the last minute, but I guess only you, the parent can decide whether to risk it/x