madsadie

question re private EP

Hi everyone

How long would you expect an independent psychologist to spend observing in school. It seems a lot to observe the child, work 1:1 with them, have meeting with parents, meet with teachers, meet with parent afterwards --all in one morning

Is this the norm? I would have thought the child should be observed at break/lunch and in different lessons to get a full picture.

Thanks

When I had one work with a child in my class it was for most of the day. They came in the morning and observed the child in lessons (not sure what happened at morning break), spoke to me and SENCo at lunch-time, took the child straight after lunch for 1-2-1 tests, then went to see the parents (who lived near to school). Their work and report seemed very comprehensive, but I don't know if this is the norm.

Hi.

If you are paying the independent psychologist do you have an agreement regarding exactly what you are paying for and are they doing what you agreed ?

Karen.

When I had one work with a child in my class it was for most of the day. They came in the morning and observed the child in lessons (not sure what happened at morning break), spoke to me and SENCo at lunch-time, took the child straight after lunch for 1-2-1 tests, then went to see the parents (who lived near to school). Their work and report seemed very comprehensive, but I don't know if this is the norm.

That's fairly standard. They get as much info from the people around the child (who can say what happens on a typical day). The questions they ask are very probing IME.

I would add that this is much more than you're likely to get from an LA Ed Psych!! In my experience the LA EP's visit is usually less than an hour, not all of which is spent observing the child.

My experience of an independent EP is much as Mumble describes.

Lizzie x

It seems the difference between private and LA is not what's seen/done but the length of time taken. The EP I work with is very thorough and it takes her several visits over 2 terms to complete an assessment. Of course different LAs will have different ways of working. I did try to 'hurry' her along once but she said that she needed to be thorough as her opinion could have a profound effect on people's lives. I would say a day would be just about right. :thumbs:

It seems the difference between private and LA is not what's seen/done but the length of time taken. The EP I work with is very thorough and it takes her several visits over 2 terms to complete an assessment. Of course different LAs will have different ways of working. I did try to 'hurry' her along once but she said that she needed to be thorough as her opinion could have a profound effect on people's lives. I would say a day would be just about right. :thumbs:

Don't tell them about that.They will all want to find out which LA she works for. :o:o:o:o:lol: