mum2angels

Does EP need parental consent before observing?

Hi, just wondered if anyone could possibly help...?

we have asked for amendments to our daughter's statement (increased hours support etc) and it was going before the panel this last week. The EP requested to see me at school (first time she has seen my daughter)to discuss my concerns. When I arrived at school the EP had already been in to observe my daughter in class and has written a report of her obs.. I got a copy yesterday and it basically says that she copes extremely well in class and accesses the lesson well. All in all, I was miffed that after waiting for 6 years for her to be seen by EP, that she had observed daughter without knowing my concerns before hand . My question is this: Does the EP need parental consent before going to see my child?

No, in a word. Although it's normal practice to speak with the parents first there's nothing to prevent the EP going back for a second look on hearing your concerns.

No, in a word. Although it's normal practice to speak with the parents first there's nothing to prevent the EP going back for a second look on hearing your concerns.

WOW... thank you so much for the really quick answer !.. i did mention that possibility for second observation but the EP says she has used up all her allocated time now... so seems no further obs are due ! EEK ! but thanks for your reply. much appreciated

Hi,

I looked into this myself and I think professionally, an Ed Psych would consider it good practise to seek your permission and also, as you have the right to be present, how can you exercise this right, if you do not know they are going in?

You might need an independent Ed Psych obs - unfortunately, as has been reported for Ofsted observations, it does not take much to present the right picture to anyone obsserving!

I have experienced both good and bad LEA Ed Psychs - see the Lamb report re this!

Good luck/x

From Ealing CC:

An educational psychologist's contact with you

An educational psychologist has to have your permission before they can see your child. You have to have the right to see any reports written about your child. You are always invited to meet with the educational psychologist.

As a parent, you have a right to be present if a psychologist sees your child. However, in most circumstances they find they are able to make a better assessment of your child's needs when they see them alone.

If you approach the educational psychology service directly without going through your child's school, we would normally contact the school and discuss your child's needs before taking any further action.

For school age children individual referrals are only accepted from schools.

From Brighton and Hove:

Parents and carers are experts about their children and we welcome the opportunity to meet with the parents of the children we are working with. Parents and carers have a right to see any reports that we write about their child.

Access to the Educational Psychology Service

Usually, schools prioritise the children they would like us to see. Whilst health professionals, parents and carers, etc, can contact the Educational Psychology Service direct, we will normally go back to the school and discuss the needs of the child before taking any further action.

We need parental permission before we can see a child.

Hi Grace,

Thank you for that ! absolutely agree.. if inclusion is all about 'parental involvement and collaboration', how can I be involved if not informed ? good point there. I thought that maybe I would email the EP and express my dismay that I wasn't able to 'exercise my rights'.. do you think that's a little bit sarcastic or not? I appreciate your view on this. :D

Hi,

Personally, I'd go with thanking her for her time and asking that as you believe you have the right to be present at any observation/assessment, you would like to be informed beforehand, in future, whenever that is going to take place. This way you are not agreeing with her views, just politely thanking her for her time and making it clear what your expectations are.

I think observations are only one element (anyone can have a really good/bad day), so hopefully other evidence will back up what you want.

Best of luck/x