Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Jaundice - Autism?

I wonder, how many of your ASD kiddies had jaundice, both my sons had it really bad at birth and I've heard that there is research going in into jaundice babies could then go on to diagnosed as autistic? What do you think about this, do you think there could be some truth in it? My eldest son who is now 25, had jaundice he went on to have a speech delay and also and still has a stutter. My youngest son Glen 16 went on to be diagnosed with ASD, so makes you think heh?

I hadn't heard that but it's not true for my family. I had jaundice as a baby and am definitely NT. My NT daughter had jaundice as a baby and L, who is severely autistic didn't have any at all.

Lynne

My son was was severely jaundiced and was re-admitted to hospital because of it, he also failed to thrive and lost a 1 lb in weight in a week.He remained jaundiced for over 6 wks....al;though this was milder.Despite test they found no underlying reason for the jaundice.I tried to research myself and discovered somewhere that very high levels of bili rubin can cause brain damage....although this was just from a brief search on the inter net.

never had it.

and I still ended up being AS

and I won't go too deep, its one of those subjects where a 'less is more' reply is better.

As far as I am concerned, potentially, there isn't a link between Autism and Jaundice, however, we shall see what the research says, I will be interested in the outcome.

Now working from a statistical point of view, if there was a direct link or link of some form, surely the amount of Autistic derived people that would have suffered jaundice at some point while young would have been a lot higher??

I had jaundice as a baby and am very NT, my daughter had no jaundice and has AS :blink:.

My two NT boys (eldest and youngest) both had jaundice and my youngest had many other complications at birth too.

My two ASD boys(the middle two) did NOT have jaundice and were both quite healthy at birth (though Sam had low birth weight.)