Sign in to follow this  
Eccentric

ESA (Employment Support Allowance)

As a self-diagnosed Aspie, currently at university, who has always had difficulty getting work, does anyone know what are my chances of getting ESA when I finish at university next year? They were saying on the news the other day that the Government's criteria for qualifying for this benefit has been strongly criticised, and that a lot of people unable to work have been told they can work.

I understand there are two kinds of ESA - one where you're completely exempt from looking for work because you're considered severely disabled, and another where you have to look for work but they take into account that you have difficulties. I am very unlikely to qualify for the first type - despite having been on Incapacity Benefit before (I had to come off it when I became a student), but am I likely to get the second type? And if so, does anyone know what conditions are likely to be laid down?

As a self-diagnosed Aspie, currently at university, who has always had difficulty getting work, does anyone know what are my chances of getting ESA when I finish at university next year? They were saying on the news the other day that the Government's criteria for qualifying for this benefit has been strongly criticised, and that a lot of people unable to work have been told they can work.

I understand there are two kinds of ESA - one where you're completely exempt from looking for work because you're considered severely disabled, and another where you have to look for work but they take into account that you have difficulties. I am very unlikely to qualify for the first type - despite having been on Incapacity Benefit before (I had to come off it when I became a student), but am I likely to get the second type? And if so, does anyone know what conditions are likely to be laid down?

The curent ESA criteria is very tough and totally skewed towards physical disabilities (the whole point ofbringing it in was to to disallow many of the mental health IB claimants!). However, the criteria have been heavily criticised and are being looked at atm....

Depending on your difficulties, it is possible for someone with an ASD to attain enough points to qualify for ESA (work related activity). Although, IMO, without a DX you re extremely unlikely to do so without a LOT of evidence of said difficulties.

details of the criteria here

Appeals have a very high success rate. But again, I am not sure I have ever heard of a "self diagnosed" anything geting ESA.

Edited by KezT