westie

NAS "you need to know" campaign about child mental health

would recommend anyone on here to read the NAS "you need to know" campaign report, and the parent and carers guide that can be accessed as pdf files from following link:

http://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/campaign-for-change/our-campaigns/you-need-to-know/resources.aspx

you can also order hard copies from NAS

Both are really interesting and informative. They campaign report has real life case studies and examples of good practice across the uk, and it opens your eyes. So many times you hear "its part of autism deal with it" autism and mental health issues can be separated and help can be given for issues like anxiety, if you have a professional who knows and understands autism spectrum conditions.

The parent booklet has information and tips to help your child.

There is also a recommended reading list that can be downloaded about issues relating to mental health.

We are doing a local campaign and at the launch meeting I picked up a campaign pack. I am so glad I took the time to read it :thumbs: :thumbs:

i not saying child mental health is important have knowledge and understanding about like autism and both working together as combine in alot of case and can't seperate or work out which one causes which to be triggered alot time the autism but like ping pong ball effect all time from one to the other so can be confusing to figure out which one should be worked on in order don't know where to start what to do can get lost in all symptoms i was child with low self esteem , looking back i see depression caused by bullying misunderstanding and lack support from education system, knock of effect from having low self esteem and being socially isolated from my peers caused me be withdrawn 'in my own little zone' just wandering round trying to 'fit in' 'slot in' somewhere anywhere .....

i also feel adult MH issues and A.S.D are 'overlooked' and mostly M.H is dealt with on it's own without working looking into both together as do work together especially MH services like Adult MH team /CAMHS don't bother looking deeper into both due to lack of experience,knowledge,understanding with both they need expert training as more and more are now being found 'discovered' 'accidently' through other services and being lead to there where they can't really 'help' you in any way you either passed on again to another service /team that works on just A.S.D normally so works other way round missing MH probs that are still there don't go away magically like A.S.D doesn't which alot people think get 'better' from get 'cured' but is managable with 'right' support teams/services on board get make it 'bearable' 'livable'

alot professionals Especially MH ones get confused annoyed why we don't successfully complete their MH treatment/care plans and that because meds are normally dished out for MH probs but therapy is normally for non A.S.D. clients which isn't suited best for our complex thinking styles and needs i would love to be involved with getting together with local MH team and seeing what is possible to overcome obstacles in future to escape further 'damage' that has already been done all they gave me was official diagnosis of A.S which after few questions answered medical background/history didn't take long! and meds didn't work and therapy for normal clients with MH probs they didn't know really what to do with me advice me what support to give me in end giving me anything to 'go away' keep 'quiet'

i feel like instead of MH professionals reading books need listen to our negative experiences and work on improving services they offer so don't let down fail anyone else out there i know hard task but don't get paid for nothing!!! itr's their job! i know that how most of them act like they go home at end of day we still have to live with reading as many books as you want won't get the understanding in centre of everything going on around us best people who REALLY know get it is US!!! and should employ relatives ,parents etc of people who have been there first hand not university degrees yes you need textbook but also need connection with other things too which main to situation in hand!

XKLX

a lot of what you talk about/ describe is is the report/ case studies. i.e. professionals who dont understand autism so may not even try, will misunderstand behaviours and confuse some things that are part of AS with something else - i.e. it explains how a professional would be able to look at the individual and recognise when it is an obsession/ comforting action or part of something more complex like OCD. Also about only using meds and not dealing with or offering other support. Long waiting times to access service/ having to go out of area.

I agree adult issues are also ignored, and that is something which needs to also be addressed.

I am trying to say (if I have read your post correctly as well :huh: ) that I agree with what you are saying, and if you read the report the comments from families and the people in it who are used as case studies have a lot in common with your experiences.

Issues raised in the report include

2. Professionals working in the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) are not understanding of autism spectrum conditions, which can lead to misdiagnosis(see page 13,14, 15 of the PDF file and page 18 to 21)
  3. some professionals are just prescribing medication and no other treatment (see case studies on page 13 and 23 of the PDF file)
  4. there are often long waiting times for an appointment, and then when treatment is began it may be ineffective and/ or for short periods of treatment then the child is discharged regardless, only to have to be re refered and go through the long wait if another crisis arises or the treatment has not worked (see page 9 and 24 of the PDF file)

And I also agree that the mental health services for adults with ASD needs to be improved.

Hope this helps!

Hi Westie

Thanks for the link. I've printed out a poster to put up at work. I have yet to read everything but it does look very interesting, and I will probably write to the PCT and CAMHS in our area as they have been/are, unfortunately, hopeless.

I am pleased to see the emphasis on support for CAMHS from the NAS, as our CAMHS clearly lack proper training and knowledge about autism itself, as well as autism combined with mental health problems.