anewman

Had a car accident :(

First ever accident. Went into the back of a car. Got out and exchanged details, guy was OK, would probably have been worse if it was his car as it was a garage courtesy car. Damage appeared to be a cracked bumper and a parking sensor had popped out. :( Damage to my car was superficial (cracked registration plate) already ordered another off ebay. My main concern really is the money as either it will be paid to the garage or will be reflected in increased insurance premiums.

The details he gave me were of the garage, I'm not sure if I should give them a call or wait for them to call me.

I guess I should also give my insurance company a ring.

:( sad day for me. I'll probably be pacing all day and awake all night.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum didn't think to look at the other sections first.

Edited by anewman

Phoned garage and dreaded doing so, but they seemed quite nice about it thanking me for calling and said they would look to give me a reasonable price to repair it.

Sorry to hear you had an accident, I hope that the garage keep their promise and glad you and the other party are okay. I also hope it doesnt keep you awake all night as well. Its not always an easy thing to put unwanted thoughts out of your head though is it...

Take care

I note that you have ordered a new number plate from Ebay, make sure that it is a legal one. There are a lot of companies that sell "novelty" number plates that are not legal. Any company supplying a legal number plate requires proof that you own the car and details of the company should be on the supplied number plate.

I would also check what your 'excess' is. You might find it cheaper to pay the garage for them to do the repair and not even tell your insurance company.

I have found that if I notify them of a 'potential' claim, that even if I don't then claim, my premiums still go up because the 'potential' for a claim has increased!!!

My car was broken into. I informed the insurance company. I then found out that the excess was more than the cost of the repair (window broken), so I paid for it myself. My insurance premium still went up eventhough I did not claim on it.

So see what the garage is seeking for the repair BEFORE you phone your insurance.