Sign in to follow this  
dekaspace

No water, cant wash or use bathroom, and landlord doesnt care.

What a day! Came back last night and wanted to wash clothes as meant to be going to parents for christmas today, washing machine wasnt working so tried taps, same, tried both bathrooms, same, even toilet didnt flush.

Had to embarress myself and ask for a few kettles worth of water from neighbour just to wash and go to toilet once.

Rang up my letting agent today at 9am, was told they would contact landlord right away as it can get worse, rang back 10.30 for them to say they are only getting round to emailing landlord as we speak(emailing! what about phoning!) at first I assumed they meant they had already rang and were emailing to see what landlord wanted to do.

Rang back about 11.45 12.30, 1.30, 2.30 to get fobbed off by agency but managed to find out landlords number elsewhere, and he said they hadnt contacted him then he tries to blame me for the problem saying heating hasnt been used enough and it was inevitable, and just told me to ask neighbour for a bucket of water each time I need toilet!

Grrr so angry.

I get a little OCD about cleaning so hate leaving the house without a wash, and have no clean clothes to take to parents so means parents cannot wash them due to the cold weather etc.

Does anyone else think landlord is being uncaring and even a bit stupid as if he doesnt sort it, then it will cost far more to sort out.

Have you tried contacting the Tenants Support Agency? Your landlord is being totally unreasonable.

Have you tried contacting the Tenants Support Agency? Your landlord is being totally unreasonable.

After that pester power he came round but 3 hours after I rang! saying there was burst pipes at another of his properties(at a property 26 miles further than my property and LL lives 7 miles in other direction so he could of came first!)

He just said that it will probably return to normal, but did say he would put some cash on gas meter to warm pipes up a bit, but then said if a leak happens it happens and it cant be stopped!

He is coming back sometime tommorow with ladders to check attic.

Not impressed how it took this much pestering to sort out though.

I'm not sure your landlord is being that unreasonable. It is the tenant's responsibility to prevent pipes from freezing by heating the property. He's quite justified in being a bit annoyed about this.

It's not really an emergency while the pipes remain frozen. It's only when they thaw that any leaks would become evident.

You don't know the reasons why he took so long to come out to you. Maybe he heard about the other property's pipes first. Maybe he was already out and closer to it when he got your phone call. Maybe he was at work. There are all sorts of possibilities.

I'm not sure your landlord is being that unreasonable. It is the tenant's responsibility to prevent pipes from freezing by heating the property. He's quite justified in being a bit annoyed about this.

It's not really an emergency while the pipes remain frozen. It's only when they thaw that any leaks would become evident.

You don't know the reasons why he took so long to come out to you. Maybe he heard about the other property's pipes first. Maybe he was already out and closer to it when he got your phone call. Maybe he was at work. There are all sorts of possibilities.

But I DID heat the property, for about 12 hours a day, and in the property in each sink not a single pipe was frozen so any freeze was out of my range.

He never told me about any other problem before, and to get to other property he needs to drive through not only town but past my flat so he could at least of popped in, and he was at home when I rang.

When you have zero water even to wash hands, cant go to toilet sanitation becomes a issue.