Sign in to follow this  
bikergal

Desperate for advice, please help

I really could do with some advice regarding dd2. She's in her last year at school and not really attending very much, maybe one morning a week. She does not have an AS dx but is diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder, depression and panic disorder. Some people have recognised that she has communication problems. She has told me herself that she has problems recognising/expressing emotions and she's very literal. She is seeing someone at camhs but this isn't very helpful, just talking. This person has been obstructive in the past, as I have requested an assessment but haven't really gotten anywhere.

At the last CAF meeting the head and family worker both turned on us, and threatened prosecution for non attendance. Dd2 is at an independent school which she started in September and managed to get into despite not having a statement. I contacted the attendance officer to let her know what was happening. School is very small, less than 20 pupils, and I know is expensive. I felt I was being coerced into either going to medical needs team or actually deregistering. They have a plan whereby dd2 is meant to go in 3 mornings each week but this isn't happening. Her fears/phobias and panic attacks make it impossible for me to get her out of the house, out of bed, even. We've missed countless appointments because of this. This school phobia has been going on for the last 2 1/2-3 years. That's why she left her last school. Medical needs were involved then but she had to go to school to see a tutor as camhs therapist said she shouldn't be at home . Help! :tearful:

Have you got advice from ISPEA.org?

Although she is in her last year of school you could ask the local authority for an assessment towards a Statement. There are special schools that go up to age 19, but you would need a Statement to get in. You don't need professionals to agree with you. You ask the LA to assess, if they refuse you appeal. You will need your own evidence which you would have to collect via independent professionals and reports. But you could start by contacting CEREBRA and getting a voucher for speech therapist input and asking the speech therapist for a report.

Push for a diagnosis - speak to the NAS about that.

Have you got advice from ISPEA.org?

Although she is in her last year of school you could ask the local authority for an assessment towards a Statement. There are special schools that go up to age 19, but you would need a Statement to get in. You don't need professionals to agree with you. You ask the LA to assess, if they refuse you appeal. You will need your own evidence which you would have to collect via independent professionals and reports. But you could start by contacting CEREBRA and getting a voucher for speech therapist input and asking the speech therapist for a report.

Push for a diagnosis - speak to the NAS about that.

Thanks. I will keep pushing for a proper assessment. I'm not really looking to go down the statementing route...I did this with dd1 and it wasn't worth the paper it was written on and I couldn't get them to reassess. Dd2 is very able and has no speech problems, when well she can at times blend in and be hidden. I really want her to get better. I'm just sad because she is so bright and was heading for 10+ gcse's at A or A* and now is heading for 3 and that's if she's lucky. She does want to go to college but needs 5 gcses to get in. And obviously she needs to be well. Wondered if any home edders know what happens post 16 regarding education at home...would we still be entitled to child benefit/child tax credit?

Sorry, just remembered....when school ask what they can do to help, and they are willing to help and be flexible...what can I reasonably ask for given dd2's current problems? Regular attendance, with the best will in the world isn't going to happen. I did see the gp and she is going to write to the psychiatrist at camhs- the one I can't get to see, asking if he will see her and about some kind of therapy. We have another meeting next week at school, which is filling me with dread :wallbash:

There are a number of different questions in your post.

Firstly for dd1. If she has a Statement she will have annual reviews. Now the law has changed and at the annual review you can request that things are included which maybe new needs, or that additional provision is provided to meet existing needs, or challenge why provision in the Statement is not being provided. Previously the LEA could look at the evidence and decide to do nothing and the parents had no recourse. Now the law has changed and whether the LEA decides to amend or not the parents can now appeal to SEND and when they appeal they can appeal about anything or everything.

I'm not sure if a parent can seek a re-assessment of the Statement themselves. I'm sure others know and will post about that.

It sounds like the problem with both children is that any professionals they see have not correctly identified all their needs or difficulties and have not put in writing what school should do to address this in terms of hours of support and staffing provision, and have not said what professionals should be involved, how often or for how long.

It is all very well the school saying they will do whatever you think is needed. But if no professional is saying what she needs you are at a loss.

Is dd2 currently at an independent school and is that the school she is not attending? What kind of school is this, is it for children with SEN? Does this school have an EP/SALT/OT on site and have they seen her?

If DD2 is without a Statement and is at independent school, then I presume the LEA currently have no responsibility for her.

What does your daughter say about this. Does she want to return to school. Has she any suggestions about what might help her?

You really need to know if the anxiety, depression and school refusal is wholly or partly due to Aspergers or is totally unrelated. If you knew that you would have a better idea of her difficulties and how to address them.

My son has gad and Adpergers and school refusal, he went to camhs for over 12 months and it didnt make the slightest differnce,i also home schooled him for a year through year 9 hilst fighting for a statement. He is now in a special independant school out of the areapaid for by the lea.

I think if your daughter wants to go to college she is going to have to get used to going out of the house, in my opinion, and home schooling post 16

would not help her overcome her fears, and i would be surprised if you did get benefits extended beyond 16 if she is not registered in full time education but am not really sure about that. I also have an elder son of 26 who never got a statement , and since he left school he has struggled and gets no help, all i have heard from professionals is "why didnt he have a statement?" and noone will help him !!

i fully undertand school refusaland gad my son has them both, but being in her last year she needs to really do her best to go,for the social aspect if nothing else. the only way forward i can see is a statement, once she has that she can keep it till she is 19 under certain circumstances.

when i was home schooling my son in year 9, i asked the college if they could help me and they found him 2 part time courses, preparation for working life and functional skills not the highest level in the world but it got him into a learning environment with other students 2 mornings a week and taught him practical things and menat he was still going out into the world, before this he was spending almost 24 hours a day in his room.

Maybe you could have a word with college if thats where she wants to go and they might suggest a course which she could do now, the lea might even apy for it, but if you do deregister like i did u will find you will have to pay all the fees. My son was only 14 when he spent a year in ccllege, he wasnt happy but it was much better than school. when i aske dhim why, he said it was becasue there was no silliness and bullying and they were all more grown up xx

Im home educating my daughter who has all of the same really she is 15 , im sick of being taken to court so now

we have both agreed to home ed..

Had a visit from inclusions and they have referred my daughter to ed psch so hopefully something will happen soon.

Good luck and dont give up >:D<<'>

Although many parents do home school you do need to know that if you withdraw your child and decide to home school then the LEA no longer has any responsibility for your child. You do. So getting a doctors note regarding the anxiety, stress etc that has resulted in school refusal is essential. Then keep your child registered in school and start the process for the LEA to organise home tuition until the child returns to school (which maybe different to the one they were at). I know this sounds easy on paper, but is not in reality. But by doing it this way and seeking an emergency review of the Statement you can get the LEA to produce up to date reports from all the professionals that need to see the child (and make sure they are all going to carry out assessments - standardised assessments). Then you can appeal the final Statement and seek whatever placement you feel would best suit your child. Depending on the school placement you are seeking (and the cost that would make on the LEA) you may need to provide independent reports (EP, SALT etc) to state that your choice of school is the only one that can meet the child's needs.

It is worth looking at all the schools the LEA has (maintained and special schools for those with an ASD) to be sure of your parental choice of school.

Thanks for all your replies :) Thankfully the meeting has been cancelled due to other issues. I have plenty to think about still and will keep plugging away at things. I am trying to get her out of the house, but this is very difficult at times...but I think we will get there..in time, and with appropriate therapy. Have appointment with psych next month, so that is progress. Think we will approach college and find out what support they might be able to offer her.. :pray: