Porillion

A Thank You

Hi,

A big thank you to everyone who answered my questions a few weeks ago. I'm an adult whose fiancee first noticed many similarities between my thinking and behaviour and that of her son, who has AS: Except hopefully I'm more adult than a teenager! :)

Thanks to your suggestions, I made a successful approach to my GP who referred me on for assessment. I've also now passed the initial screening stage and been referred for full assessment by a psychologist at some point in the future; hopefully not too long. It turns out that the online test I took for the Austism Quotient was inaccurate - it missed several answers - and I score 47/50. The local charity involved in the screening stage has also helped me put in a claim for DLA, although if the accompanying booklet on whether you should claim is anything to go by pretty much no-one can claim DLA now (you have to be born without legs, or 100% blind and 80% deaf, etc.). Shocking.

Anyway, touch wood.

Take care, one and all.

Ian

how did you get help for your DLA claim. i applied and got turned down.

Hi, Charlotte,

I took a two-pronged approach. I joined Benefits and Work (http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/) and followed their DLA claim booklet, and I asked my support worker at my local charity to help - the one I had to go through before going on to the pyschologist (whom I'm still waiting to see). I'm not hopeful I'll get DLA either, despite the problems I have, but if I don't apply (and appeal if necessary), I guess I certainly won't!

I'm sorry you were turned down.

Take care,

Ian