Greg F

Application for Statutory Assessment, need help

Question 6 of this reads:

"What do you think would help your child in future? What kind of provision do you feel that your child needs?"

My child has AS (diagnosed).

I am not a soothsayer, how am I supposed to know what help he will need?

I do not want to answer the question without actually understanding the ramifications. What should I put?

Thanks for your help, as you will be aware returning the form is time critical.

You can say in the reply that "a, b and c are your concerns but that you recognise his needs are "complex" and that he is "vulnerable" and that is why you are seeking an assessment so that everyone involved with your son has a better understanding of what his needs are and how they should be met in school."

To help you think about his needs, think about the diagnostic criteria and what difficulties he had to have to get a diagnosis. Think also about how they relate to each professional:

So speech and language, social communication, making friends, behaving appropriately, (things like cannot hold a two way conversation, monopolises conversation, cannot lose without getting upset), emotional recognition in himself and others, can he talk about 'feelings' etc - fall under Speech and Language Therapist.

Distractibility, any learning difficulties you suspect he has (eg. dyslexia), or difficulties with organisation or planning, understanding time, sequencing thoughts and work fall under the Educational Psychologist - an emotional literacy programme also comes under the EP or the Clinical Psycholgist if he has emotional or behavioural difficulties (emotional social communication falls under the SALT).

Difficulties such as dyspraxia, or co-ordination problems, sensory issues and sensory integration disorder or any physical difficulties such as dressing, eating, tying shoe laces etc fall under the Occupational Therapist.

If he is self harming or threatening to hurt himself or refusing school, he should be referred onto the Clinical Psychologist and/or CAHMS.

Hope that helps.

Than relate that back into school and social life ie. how does he cope during breaktimes. Does he need some kind of club to go to, mentoring or a buddying approach, TA support in the playground (not sure how old he is) or in the classroom.

Does he have problems with handwriting, processing information, does he need extra adult help or longer time. Does he need more frequent breaks. Would he benefit from moving between classes (if he is in secondary) before everyone else does (does the noise or chaos upset or frighten him).

When the LEA reply, do not be surprised if they refuse. Refusal is sometimes used as a screening device to see which parents take it further. Appeal, and if you win they will assess. Then they may refuse to issue a Statement, again you appeal. Then they may issue a Statement - but it maybe pants, so you appeal again. Long and drawn out i'm afraid. But don't give up.

Start thinking now about any written evidence you have. Letters to or from school. If he attends any clubs ask the leader to write about 'how' he copes at these. Does he chat with and join in with the other kids, is he isolated. Does he need instructions repeating or adult support. Does he easily get upset. Is his physical capabilities typical of the other children etc.

You can also keep a diary and write down any events or incidences you think are significant and include them.

If the LEA do agree to assess you can speak to those departments (SALT, EP, OT etc) and ask to speak to someone experienced with his diagnosis. Ask them what assessments they will carry out. Ask them to do standardised assessments. These will give you an age related or percentile result which will be your baseline from which to measure progress. If no standardised assessments are carried out you will find it very hard to measure if he is making progress. So if he is assessed as having a reading age of 6, the next year you would expect to see an improvement, and that improvement should be adequate.

Edited by Sally44

Thanks for your help Sally. I have made it into a framework and padded it out.

I have taken it into the school SENCO to have a look through and she will let me know what needs changing or adding this afternoon.

Why can't things be as simple as "You say your child needs help, your school says your child needs help so here's the help"?

Someone in an ivory tower that requires a certain incantation and today's password to get the help my child needs does not fill me with confidence.

Because then we would have nothing to do all day long :ninja:

In actual fact, the legal process is not bad. But often it simply is not carried out on the ground floor.

The SEN process is also a graduated one, and in reality is usually crisis management. Nothing is really proactive or provided until there is evidence that it is needed.

Yesterday I was told by one professional that my son has severe dyspraxia. I know he has dyspraxia. But the OT has (a) refused to assess because the difficulties and supports are the same as for an ASD (not true). By law EVERY need should be identified ..... But if they just refuse, you can only appeal. I saw the OT only last week. I again raised his movement and co-ordination difficulties and was told it was probably a "growth spurt". Anyway, I degress - but i'm sure you get the point.

So always make sure that the process is followed. Agencies are supposed to communicate with eachother. But they usually don't. I have a friend that won her appeal for the placement of her choice because she proved at tribunal that the professionals involved had never been in touch with eachother about providing the integrated services and supports her son needed. In the placement he has now he is weekly boarding and receives everything.

Remember to appeal any refusal to assess. School will be required to provide support through their delegated funding (usually around 15 hours per week). So check what Head thinks he would need from school. Plus any professional input needed from SALT, OT, extra TA support in class or playground etc that would be over delegated funding.

Edited by Sally44