Sign in to follow this  
dekaspace

Should I complain about the doctors?

I went to a doctors surgery last week to sign up, was given an appointment today, I thought it was 3.20 but it was 3pm.

Anyway at 2.45 I knew due to my train being late(I am a student) I wouldnt be there on time since the doctors is 15 minutes walk from station so went on my phone looking for the doctors number which in itself was a shambles since their website didnt work on my phone(or a normal pc as I checked when I just got back) so it took me about 10 minutes to get the number as I had to ring up their 24 hour line, get their main number ring that and get the number for appointments, then when I tried to ring that it was engaged so by the time I got through it was 3.02pm and then they put me on hold for 4 minutes then I explained situation and was told my appointment was 3pm and since I missed it I cannot join with the doctors.

Now considering it wasnt my fault that their website was down, and that I did attempt ringing before 3pm anyway to cancel it its not as if I just didnt attend I attempted to ring up BEFORE the appointment time and couldnt get through even with a few calls and was told that the rules state if you miss an appointment you cant register.

I find that unfair on so many levels as I keep saying, its not as if I just failed to attend, I phoned to explain I would be late and to rearrange appointment etc.

I didnt know to tell the person that I have disabilities that make me forgetful and suffer from depression(which is the main reason for me wanting a new doctor!) so that also would effect my frame of mind about attendance(I.e I didnt rush down early from after uni and felt low etc) so in many ways this is making me feel far more depressed.

People missing doctor's appointments is apparently a big problem, but the circumstances were beyond your control and you did do everything you could to let them know you were running late.

If I were you I think I would make another attempt to register there in a week or so. They will probably have forgotten all about it, but if they mention it you could apologise profusely and explain that you did phone up as soon as you realised your train was running late, but that it took a long while to get through (I wouldn't bother with more details, it will just confuse matters). If they still refuse to accept you as a patient at that point, then you may have grounds for a complaint.

I would not recommend making a complaint if you can help it because it would be good to start with a new doctor on good terms if at all possible. As you had not informed them of your disability and how it affects you getting to appointments, they cannot be expected to take them into account. It's also nothing to do with the real reason you missed the appointment; that was because of the delay on the train.

The issue isn't that you couldn't get the number, couldn't get through, website didn't work blah blah blah, this issue is this:

I thought it was 3.20 but it was 3pm.

and none of the rest would have been an issue if you had made certain you knew what time your appointment was.

So, no, I don't think you should complain. Perhaps you should use that technology you have to keep a better track of your appointments? Missed appointments cost the NHS a huge amount of money every year and it isn't fair on other patients. :shame:

The issue isn't that you couldn't get the number, couldn't get through, website didn't work blah blah blah, this issue is this:

and none of the rest would have been an issue if you had made certain you knew what time your appointment was.

So, no, I don't think you should complain. Perhaps you should use that technology you have to keep a better track of your appointments? Missed appointments cost the NHS a huge amount of money every year and it isn't fair on other patients. :shame:

I agree with this.Also not sure why you couldnt store the phone number the night before,or have I missed something :unsure: I too am a student but if I have an appointment they will allow me to leave early or even miss lectures,and I happen to be on one of the most strictest courses in the UK,as a student nurse we have to complete X hours theory and X hourse practical to move to the second year,we only allowed a maximum of 20 days sickness and even then the more you take the worse it looks when you applying for a job,so really is'nt like the average uni course.

My point is if something is that important come hell or high water you will get there on time.

I agree with this.Also not sure why you couldnt store the phone number the night before,or have I missed something :unsure: I too am a student but if I have an appointment they will allow me to leave early or even miss lectures,and I happen to be on one of the most strictest courses in the UK,as a student nurse we have to complete X hours theory and X hourse practical to move to the second year,we only allowed a maximum of 20 days sickness and even then the more you take the worse it looks when you applying for a job,so really is'nt like the average uni course.

My point is if something is that important come hell or high water you will get there on time.

It didnt cross my mind to store the number really the night before since the doctors was around corner from my house, and to get there on time I would have to leave uni at 1pm at very latest(which I left at 12.55) to walk to station, catch a train, wait in another train station 20 minutes for connection, then 45 minutes on train giving me 30 minutes to get to doctors appointment(and it takes 10-15 minutes walk)

And when I barely have the energy to stay awake(I sleep as much as 18 hours a day and still feel I havent slept) so also its not a case of something like getting up earlier or anything(I slept at friends house last night which is only reason I was able to wake up for class today!)

It didnt cross my mind to store the number really the night before since the doctors was around corner from my house, and to get there on time I would have to leave uni at 1pm at very latest(which I left at 12.55) to walk to station, catch a train, wait in another train station 20 minutes for connection, then 45 minutes on train giving me 30 minutes to get to doctors appointment(and it takes 10-15 minutes walk)

And when I barely have the energy to stay awake(I sleep as much as 18 hours a day and still feel I havent slept) so also its not a case of something like getting up earlier or anything(I slept at friends house last night which is only reason I was able to wake up for class today!)

Well I dont think thats a fair thing to say since in the past 10 years I would say I have missed 2 or 3 appointments at doctors and normally I ring first(I normally cancell them as I have a chest infection which is the very reason I want to see them at that point!)

Even if I knew my appointment was 3pm I would of had to get the same train, I rang up out of courtesy just in case someone came in there and then and needed an appointment.

The ironic thing is that every doctor I have visited (apart from one doctor 3 years ago) have had me wait like 30 minutes after an appointment time to get seen as they are always behind schedule so even in the unlikely idea that this one was working dead on time then they should realise that I rang up dead on time(when I got home I found my watch was 3 minutes fast anyway!) so I rang up a minute or two before appointment for one, and even if I stored number day before it wouldnt of been the correct one since that just tells you another number to ring(not very good organisation by them)

There is something like getting to much sleep which also makes you feel tired and worn out.If you aree,as you say,getting 18hours sleep its more than double the recommended nights sleep.So if I were you I would reduce the sleep,take vitamins if you are tired,its the same thing any doctor would tell you.

You may be tired on 8 hrs sleep and tired on 18hrs but at least the 8hrs is more the norm.

As for storing the number,I think you should do that for any appt even if you just meeting a friend,you using public transport which is never guarenteed to come on time so it just makes sense to have tthe number.You say the number you have gives you a different number but you could still have rung them up the day before just to confirm your appt that way you would have had the correct time and correct number.

I think not letting you register because of this is unreasonable. People make mistakes, and I lose count of the times I've had to wait in a surgery because appointments are overrunning. I agree that complaining before you've registered is not the best way to build up a positive relationship, but I think it's a good idea to ask for another appointment, and obviously take steps this time to ensure that you get there before time if possible.

GP's should learn that they are there to serve the public, not the other way round - otherwise there's no way they can justify the fat salary they earn.

K x