Sign in to follow this  
Alli

Not sure what tests are for

My son has been diagnosed as having A.S. I took him privately to a psychiatrist and he referred him for these tests. The local hospital had a fit when they saw the tests. First of all they said they couldn't read his writing, then they said they didn't know what some of them are. I now have them typed and am going to go back with them. I would love to know what these tests are before I talk to the hospital again.

They are as follows:

Full metabolic screen

Fragile X test in which you use tubes EDTA and lithium heparin.

Urine test for organic acids.

I am wondering whether the psy is just calling tests by a different name than what a gp would.

I was going to get back on to him and ask for a exp. but I have already tackled him for giving me referrals to services that don't exist.

Alli

Sam had this block of tests done by his consultant community peadiatrician and a couple of others by the consultant psychiatrist.

Because fragile X is a genetic and because I had a block of very weird children from a very weird family that needed to be ruled out as a possibility so both boys where tested to be 100% sure when Sam was 2 Nathan was 9.

They also decied to rule out a few other very rare odd disorders that present behaviour similar to ASD but might be progressive.

It was the good old family ASD though they did find a very high level of IgE in Sams blood that is typical for children who are very atopic to certain protiens.

If your unsure what a test is for or need to ask again later do so.

If you cannot get a response by phoning try writing as a phone call may be ignored but a letter is less likely to be ignored.