Sign in to follow this  
candice

Hello

Hi, im new here, my name is Candice and im mum to Laurie 3 years old, who is currently waiting to be diagnosed. We had joint assessment July last year an they would only diagnose Global Delay,as she was too sociable. However as she is becoming a little older she is displaying more signs that she is on the spectrum.

My community pediatrician has clearly stated in her report she thinks my daughter has Aspergers, although she is sociable, she is not sociably appropriate! So she is now being reffered fpr another Joint assessment.

She would think nothing of saying Hi to you if we were sitting there 3 hours probably say hi over 200 times!She has to stick to routine if she is took out of routine in the smallest way she goes into complete meltdown, she lines up her toys, has an obsession with lights an water, she cant put more than 3 words together but can sing a song from start to finish, which amazes me!! She also has to sit in certain sides of the room to eat, an has to have her nappy changed in certain places, or she can totally freak out.

I asked my Dr, Speech therapist if it was possible to be on the spectrum an be quite sociable,because although i have read lots of things on ASD, it is sometimes still confusing to me as there is so many variations of Autism. They said of course, even though it plays a huge role in ASD it is still possible. Does anyone else have this issue with there child being sociable??

Any thoughts would be great.

Candice

Hi Candice and welcome.

Autism doesn't mean someone is anti-social, just that they aren't socially appropriate. So saying "Hi" 200 times would (in my non-professional opinion) probably be as much of a sign as not saying it at all. I try to be sociable, but generally get it wrong :(

Hi candice, my daughter is 12 and just recently diagnosed aspergers but like yours when she was little she was super friendly, never stopped talking and would talk to anyone but she also had her routines, everything had to be in its proper place, even in the supermarket, if i put something back on the wrong shelf she would freak out until i put it back in its proper place, it was because of her sociability i refused to have her assessed when it was first pointed out to me by a doctor, boy was i wrong, have to say though she is completely different from the sociable child she once was. Back on point tho lol yes she can be sociable and be on the spectrum.

Thanks guys, its just i find some things hard to understand myself, im still learning about this, an although i read up lots on it it some parts still really confuse me.

All people with ASD are very different. So there will always be things that don't relate to your daughter.

It's very difficult to diagnose ASD in very young children, but hopefully the new assessment will clarify things.