Sign in to follow this  
smartloobylou

Therapies or medication for ASD?

Hi to all

My 9 year olds sons ocd/rituals/repetitive sequences are getting longer and more frequent. As it seems to be a type of OCD behaviour, could it be treated with therapy and/or medication such as anti-depressants or similar? I know that you can take anti-ds for OCD as an adult and i wonder if it would have any effect? He is exhausted by all the rituals and is completely taking over daily life.

Anyone child having any therapy/treatment??

x Louise

Hi to all

My 9 year olds sons ocd/rituals/repetitive sequences are getting longer and more frequent. As it seems to be a type of OCD behaviour, could it be treated with therapy and/or medication such as anti-depressants or similar? I know that you can take anti-ds for OCD as an adult and i wonder if it would have any effect? He is exhausted by all the rituals and is completely taking over daily life.

Anyone child having any therapy/treatment??

x Louise

Anti-depressants onl help if the person with OCD is depressed - they do not work on the OCD itself.

NLT/CBT or similar might be worth investigating though

TBH, we just come down hard on DS whenever he starts getting into rituals/OCD behaviour and tell him it not acceptable, not helpful and inform him ech time he does it so he an concentrate on stpping. As long as you catch the behaviours early, that does work.....

Edited by KezT