allaboutasd

No IEP or Statement?

Hi,

My son is 10 and attends a small primary school in NE Aberdeenshire. He is on a reduced timetable which basically has him in for the morning and doing school work at home in the afternoon. They say they don't have the facilities for him to be in fulltime and they feel he wouldn't cope anyway. Most of the time we are called at some point in the morning to either go up and calm him down or just take him home.

My question is how do I get an IEP and/or statement. I would like to move him to a better school but have been told he needs a SEN but we don't have one and the headteacher of the school he is at has told me that you only get them in England and they don't apply in Scotland.

I am quite baffled by the whole process and have no idea what is and isn't (or what should be) available in my area.

Please help!

At the top of the Education forum have a look at "educational needs advice". There are some Scotland based helplines and information and they will give you the info you are after.

There are also many on the forum from Scotland who may post or PM you.