Sign in to follow this  
Lyndalou

Support in Aberdeenshire?

Last November my little boy (just under 3 at the time) was diagnosed with high functioning autism. I decided at the time not to look into what the diagnosis entailed straight away as I was heavily pregnant and felt I would have enough to deal with - my little girl was born in December. However, Christmas was clearly a stressful time for my little boy so I started looking at information about autism in February. When I looked at Aspergers information I thought that some of the symptoms applied to me and when I looked into things in more depth I was shocked to realise that this has been the cause of my difficulties over the years (I am 38)and everything I have read since just confirms my belief. I have spoken to the NAS helpline as I am having a lot of difficulty coping at the moment and then went to the GP to request a referral for assessment. It was clear that she was very skeptical that I could have Aspergers and made the statement that if I did have it then it was mild. However, the upshot appears to be that Grampian seldom, if ever, refer adults for assessment. I am awaiting the 'official' answer but don't expect it to be a yes so I am looking into what a private assessment would involve and how much it would cost. I have also spoken to the local branch of the NAS about support but I have been told they are unaware of any other woman with Aspergers who lives independently, who is married with children in the Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire area. I really would like someone to talk to about how I am feeling who actually understands what I am talking about because no-one (including my husband) can fathom why I am still very upset about finding out that I have lived with this all my life and never knew it!

Hi Lyndalou

Welcome to the forum. :)

I hope you find local support soon. In the meantime, we're here to offer you "virtual" support if you need it. There are several adults with AS on the forum and some of them are mums.

K x

Hi Lyndalou

Welcome to the forum. :)

I hope you find local support soon. In the meantime, we're here to offer you "virtual" support if you need it. There are several adults with AS on the forum and some of them are mums.

K x

It's been really helpful already just to look at the various discussions. I think it has reinforced to me that everyone is different and they have to find the best ways of living their lives that works for them. I am who I am and I have to cope with certain difficulties which I've been finding ways to deal with all along - now I can just explore better ways to cope, certainly with regards to anxiety, now I know what I'm up against! This is a great resource since resources seem to be lacking on the ground. I'm feeling much more positive now. x

Hi, I'm in Grampian and although i don't have autism myself, my 12yr old son was diagnosed in May last year after along wait. I'm sure this is the right place for you to get the support from others in the same situation a you are. Good luck. :)

Thanks

I know everything takes time to come right - there's no magic fix. There are a lot of good people out there.

xx

Hi Lyndalou I am a recently diagnosed (1 month ago) Female who has newly moved to Aberdeen, I havent found much support about here, in the forms of support groups or anything. If You find anything please let me know. Take care. :)

From looking at the NAS website there are branches in Aberdeen, Ellon and Westhill - maybe worth giving them a ring :)

Lynne

Hi Lyndalou I am a recently diagnosed (1 month ago) Female who has newly moved to Aberdeen, I havent found much support about here, in the forms of support groups or anything. If You find anything please let me know. Take care. :)

Hi there

How are you finding the granite city? Lived there for a lot of years before I moved to the sticks...it's compact but there is a lot going on...

I've met the NAS Regional Officer in person and she only knows of one support group for adults within Aberdeen and the shire - it's primarily for adults with high support needs, living with their parents. I've had more luck with getting support as a parent of a child wih ASD - the Regional Officer recently kindly facilitated a meeting with other mums. I also get sent information monthly from the Aberdeen NAS Admin Officer. Most of it is centred on children and the parents of children with ASD's but for instance, there was a day workshop 'Employing People on the Autistic Spectrum' back in April so although there doesn't seem to be much doing for adults via the NAS in the area, at least adults are on the radar I suppose!

There was an independent Adult Asperger's Support Group in Aberdeen up until last year. However, it still says on the site (can't remember how I found it now but I'm sure you would find it quite quickly if you looked) that there is still an e-mail address for questions. I didn't pursue it further.

At the meeting with the other mums, the Regional Officer told us about a comprehensive guide to disability services in paper format that has been compiled by a long-established Parent Group in Ellon which covers the whole of the shire (and possibly the city). It goes online soon and I plan to check it out to see if there is any crossover into adult services. There is also Grampian Autistic Society but I haven't asked if they provide anything for adults yet.

Good Luck! :thumbs:

From looking at the NAS website there are branches in Aberdeen, Ellon and Westhill - maybe worth giving them a ring :)

Lynne

Thanks Lynne

There do seem to be good services provided for parents in these areas. :thumbs: It's a little sparse where I am although the NAS RO tells me that the services reflect the needs of the parents who set up the support group - understandably I guess! So, in this area the only support group is for parents with children over the age of 7 meantime. As I said in the reply to aaspie, there don't appear to be any services for adults via the NAS, apart from the one I mentioned. Might check out Westhill further so I don't have to negotiate the Haudagain Roundabout in Aberdeen :whistle:

Lynda

I think it's the same everywhere Lynda - services are lacking for adults. I work for an ADHD & Autism Support Charity where I am now and we try our best to cover all ages. We primarily support parents of children with ASD, we run two coffee mornings per week, and put on training courses and offer support with DLA, statementing etc but we also try to provide something for older people too. We have a youth club for the younger teens, a film group for older teens and a book group for adults. It's not much but it's better than some areas.

Lynne

I think it's the same everywhere Lynda - services are lacking for adults. I work for an ADHD & Autism Support Charity where I am now and we try our best to cover all ages. We primarily support parents of children with ASD, we run two coffee mornings per week, and put on training courses and offer support with DLA, statementing etc but we also try to provide something for older people too. We have a youth club for the younger teens, a film group for older teens and a book group for adults. It's not much but it's better than some areas.

Lynne

Hi Lynne

You sound pretty busy and it also sounds like a very positive Charity to work for!

I've come to recognise there is a gap in services for adults around here definitely but I suppose it takes a lot of time (plus money and energy) to ensure there are services put in place, like with your charity. I'm quite confident myself and my husband can get a certain amount of help with my wee boy and I think we've pretty much got the mechanisms in place for that now to build on. I just wish there was someone in the 'real world' who I could speak to about how I'm feeling about the whole shebang at the moment. I've had enough of my concerns being treated like it's just always been a minor inconvenience - without any kind of diagnosis as yet (and maybe never) I feel totally in limbo! :crying: Hey-ho. I suppose that's what everyone feels who's been through it?

Thanks

Lynda

hi there,

I am a married 43yr old with a 12yr old son (has mild aspie traits) and a 9yr old daughter who is a diagnosed aspie (and also some medical problems). Although we go to a very good childrens group called HANDSS (Helping Additional Needs Develop Social Skills) which is based at Bridge of Don community centre in Aberdeen, there is nothing for adults. Perhaps if there was enough interest we could form a support group ?

I know I have definite Aspie signs, and just put on a 'public' face with others , as does my husband. We're lucky really cos we see ourselves as the only 'normal' family we know, ha ha. :lol:

If anyone would be interested, let me know.

hi again,

I should have added that the group in Bridge of Don is also for the support of parents, and I know a lot have benefitted from chatting about everything from social workers, school provisions, babysitting services, benefits etc as well as 'blowing off steam' about their week.

They are currently arranging visits by people like Autism outreach and benefits advisors too, so if this would be of any use to anyone contact the community centre and they'll tell you when the club meets. ( though during the holidays we find numbers greatly reduced as it's run during the daytime in the holidays and many parents work.)