CarolineJ

We're off to Orlando!

We're flying to Orlando next week and will be visiting all of the parks. Does anybody have any hints or tips?

Hi

I took my son to Disney couple of years ago. Disney are fantastic in that if you take proof of disability i.e. doctor's letter, etc, you can get VIP passes for the family group. This was fantastic as I knew R would barely have went on any of the rides due to long waits - instead, we were able to effectively queue jump. Where queues weren't too long, we waited, but where I knew R wouldn't manage to wait, we used the passes. So, the passes are a must! R got tired a lot and so we jumped on the train and sat on for a few laps before heading off on our adventures again. I found staff couldn't have been more helpful.

Best wishes

Caroline

Can’t offer any hints and tips I’m afraid because I’ve never been. Just wanted to say have an absolute blast - Orlando certainly sounds “doable”.

Enjoy!! :D

Have a great time!

I think there have been some threads on this before - try searching Disneyland or something similar.

K x

Dunno if you were going to be asking, but Disney don't offer any pricing concessions. Universal and sea world do, and i think wet and wild and busche gardens too...

Some details here:

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=3286000

(scroll to top if it opens half way down)

I'm going in summer, with my son and my autistic nephew, so with 50% of our group having autism the saving will make a big difference. On the downside, when we bit the bullet and booked I had no idea inflation was gonna go through the roof and petrol prices etc. Really feeling the pinch while trying to shovel money into the gaping hole that is our 'florida savings account'! :lol:

have a lovely holiday, and don't go swimming with shamu if they ask you! :o

Edited by baddad

We went pre diagnosis so had to queue which was torture for my youngest aspergers son Zac. Also it became quite clear after a few rides that Zac couldn't tolerate things that were too loud or too unexpected. Also he doesn't cope well with large crowds so watching the parades (which husband and daughters really wanted) were hard. So make sure you are prepared with food/games to entertain/distract and that you have some sort of back up plan. Husband took kids that wanted to on rides and I took Zac and any other kids that didn't want to, to do something else and then we'd meet up later. Zac was almost 6 at the time.

That said eldest son Alfie (also Aspergers) just 10 at the time, had read up on the net all about disney, the rides, the waits etc and he was able to cope well. But he is a speed freak and very single minded when he wants to be. So he did all the rides even the ones husband didn't want to.

Personally I found Universal easier to cope with and I am not keen on fast rides so didn't feel I was missing out.

Let us know how you find it and if you got the disability passes.