Sign in to follow this  
gorby928

Statement process update

Hi

Just thought I would post an update on the statement process,well on and off it has taken the best part of a year(school SEN not much cop sat on our paper work for most of that year :wallbash: ) but we had an appointment with our local Social care unit this week.We saw the doctor who first saw AJ years ago,he had recieved a request for a statement as regards AJs statement application and he wanted to see him again to see how he was coping.Well it seemed to really go well,he listened to our concerns and chatted to AJ(8 years old)and after a brief chat told us that he was going to write a strongly worded statement in favor of AJs application.I know we still have some hoops to jump through but we came out of the meeting feeling quite positive :thumbs: .I just hope this gives some hope to those of you who are going through the same process. :thumbs:

Hi Gorby,

It's good to have professionals on your side when you're going through this process, strong evidence is important, not to mention the boost to your morale as a parent!

I'm guessing you're in the middle of the statutory assessment process?

K x

Do you have a copy of the SEN Code of Practice.

There are timescales to the process (and most processes), it is always worth finding out what the timescales are. In some cases (eg. Tribunal), if an LEA does not keep to the timescales they can find their evidence is not admitted, or even the case thrown out and found in the parents favour.

And when writing letters (and make sure everything is in writing if you are in the Statementing process), always give a timescale for response eg. within 14 days.

Delaying tactics are often used, because it delays the final decision and every day saved is money saved.

I'm glad you've had a supportive professional. Sometimes that makes all the difference.