Sign in to follow this  
Frizz

Black & white symbols

Hi.

This is a question I have decided to post to try to help out a friend.

She has been scouring the internet to find some black & white symbols,rather like the pecs symbols,that she can download/print off,for free! She needs them to make a visual timetable/keyring/book for a little boy at her pre school.He has no diagnosis as yet,but she feels he would benefit from these items,yet doesn't have the budget at this time of year,to spend on them.

I'm not sure that a diagnosis is always needed before any professional can get involved. I don't think it does.

So this person should have access to Early Years, or the pre-school should refer to Early Years for them to come and see the child.

I don't have any experience of the input available at that age, but others will.

But, for example, the autism advisory teacher in our area does not necessarily need a diagnosis before she can become involved. It requires the school to contact her, or for another professional to seek her input.

Most of these services will have symbols that they use.

If the pre-school feels there is a communication issue, then they should refer to speech and language therapy.