Sign in to follow this  
dekaspace

LHA and JSA stopped as been accused of being a full time student! help!

Its really hit the fan here!

I think its all down to the fact that last year when I moved from one area to another my then landlord put down I moved out 28 days before I did and about 6 weeks ago I found out I was getting deductions for LHA overpayment(since the council claims they tried contacting me many times)

So I appealed and am getting messed around by my ex council as I sent of a detailed letter with the end date of tenancy, then the exact day I moved out, the date I moved to new property etc to be told they wanted confirmation of this again, this was 3 weeks ago.

In the meantime I was also contacted by ANOTHER council about somewhere I lived just before I moved to previous one(only stayed 6 months in each area trying to find work) saying they have recieved information that they are investigating as they think I was getting LHA wrongfully.

Fast forward to yesterday when I signed on and was told my claim is suspended(and only suspended that day) I rang up benefit delivery centre who say they have been advised I am a full time student but the guy is friendly and says this is probably an error and he will speak to a supervisor about getting a giro and ring me back within a hour.

After I never recieved call I rang back to be told there was no record of me ringing(and from advisors tone on phone he didnt believe me) and said due to bank holiday I would get a call about an interview on Tuesday.

I also rang up the old council who confirmed they contacted the jobcentre that day but didnt say what about.

Today I get a letter saying my LHA is stopped as I am a full time student!

So it turns out my old council has contacted my new council, the jobcentre and a former council stating I am a full time student(I am 5 hours a week part time which is authorised by JC) and they claim I am a student at a university which is about 150 miles from where I live!(so how on earth do they think I am part time)

Just really panicking an want to know my rights as from what I have been told they will investigate the claim I am a student which will take a few weeks but I have £20 in bank and no other funds like overdrafts and no family to help me!

I strongly recommend you get some specific legal advice.

Your local CAB is very used to dealing with this type of thing, and is totally free, so is a good place to start:) They will be able to advise what to do right now, whether they can help longer term and if not, who can, and may well be able to offer or suggest where to get immediate financial or other help.

find your local CAB here: http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

I don't think you need to worry too much about the eventual outcome. All you need to do is contact the university where they believe you are a full-time student. They will be able to confirm that this is not the case.

Your university may have a hardship fund that you could apply to for an emergency loan.