bid

Flippin' bureaucracy!!

Well, I get a letter today from my county Highways Agency, telling me I need to pay for damage to county property that happened when I hit black ice and rolled my car, back at the beginning of December.

Of course, no one is answering the phone, as I am intrigued to discover exactly what damage I did to a country lane! Maybe it's the dinge in the verge where my car hit when it flipped on it's side, prior to sliding gracefully across the lane before ending up on it's roof.

Apparently, this 'damage' has been repaired, hence I have to pay...well, I guess grass has grown over the dinge in the verge...

Madness I tell you!! Will report back when I have found out what I am meant to have damaged! :P

Bid :wacko:

Oh dear lord!! :crying:

Finally spoke to someone...'spillage'!

I understand the need to clean the road of petrol...but 'if it transpires I am liable' it will be £600 to £1000!! :o

OMG!! :crying:

Bid :crying:

Oh, keep everything crossed!!

It looks as though I will be covered under my car insurance at the time!

:pray::pray::pray:

Bid :hypno:

Hopefully -

But in the meantime I'd be tempted to look into the Highway's Agency and any potential liability they might have to provide 'grittage'... Probably none whatsoever, but it might be enough to give some head of department a minute or two's 'wobble' while they're finding out. :devil:

Good luck with the insurance.

L&P

BD

Hopefully -

But in the meantime I'd be tempted to look into the Highway's Agency and any potential liability they might have to provide 'grittage'... Probably none whatsoever, but it might be enough to give some head of department a minute or two's 'wobble' while they're finding out. :devil:

Good luck with the insurance.

L&P

BD

I did point this out, and got a load of old blah about how they can only grit the roads selected by the county council, exceptional weather conditions, etc, etc :P

Oh I so didn't need that this afternoon...training at work all morning, then working tonight and no sleep since this stupid letter! :hypno:

Bid :(

Finally spoke to someone...'spillage'!

I understand the need to clean the road of petrol...but 'if it transpires I am liable' it will be £600 to £1000!!

Someone is winding you up. I'm sure that someone will pay up without checking it out - how much would it cost to actually take you to court? How exactly are you supposed to clean up petrol that evaporated months ago. I'd like to see the statute where road users are liable for damage after accidents. Maybe I should be asking my lawyers to draft a letter to request damages for wear to my tyres from the road surface, damage to my suspension from the pot holes, and scratches from stone chips etc etc.

:jester:

Don't they just chuck a bit of sand on it? My Dad wrote off my car when he skidded (incidentally on oil someone else had spilled ;)) but they just came down and put grit on the roads..

Lynne

Someone is winding you up. I'm sure that someone will pay up without checking it out - how much would it cost to actually take you to court? How exactly are you supposed to clean up petrol that evaporated months ago. I'd like to see the statute where road users are liable for damage after accidents. Maybe I should be asking my lawyers to draft a letter to request damages for wear to my tyres from the road surface, damage to my suspension from the pot holes, and scratches from stone chips etc etc.

:jester:

It's because they had to come out on the night as an 'emergency' to clean up the petrol for safety reasons (understandable)...so it's taken them nearly 6 months to send me the letter!

My gripe is the fact that the police were satisfied that I had hit black ice, and that I hadn't been speeding or committed any driving offence. So because the county council failed to grit that country road, I wrote off my car, and am now apparently liable for the cost of cleaning up the spillage. How is it my responsibility?? I did put this in the box on the form for who was to blame! :P:devil:

I also wonder what would have happened if I'd been killed...do you think they still send out an invoice to the bereaved relatives?? At the time, the police and paramedics said the only reason I walked away was because I hadn't been speeding :ph34r:

Bid :angry:

Edited by bid

Don't they just chuck a bit of sand on it? My Dad wrote off my car when he skidded (incidentally on oil someone else had spilled ;)) but they just came down and put grit on the roads..

Lynne

Probably!! :angry:

I think it's one of those legalised 'scams' in the sense that they charge what they like because the insurance companies pay up, whilst increasing everyone's premiums!

Gah!!

Bid :shame:

It should be covered by your insurance even if it was only 3rd party, as the council would be a 3rd party.

They should really have said that in the letter, seems mean to scare you with a bill like that.

I had an accident a few years ago and left half the front end of my car on the verge. It disappeared after a few days and I guess I was lucky not to get billed for that. It even had the number plate on so would have been pretty easy to trace me.

Hope you can get some sleep now!

Maybe our council is just looking for creative ways to make up for all the budget cuts... :wacko:

I'll expect to see you out there on the road with your bucket and mop this weekend. :rolleyes:

K x

Edited by Kathryn