Sign in to follow this  
spottydog

elocution lessons

Hi all, haven't been here for a while.

I was wondering whether anyone has tried elocution lessons to improve speech for children with AS. My son now 11 yrs old, he does has some 'social skills' group training at school with a speech therapist, but his speech seems to be deteriorating, he mumbles all the time, and really rambles on,(one sentence can take him ages to get to the point, by which time listener has lost interest!) and is becoming really difficult even for me to understand, his language skills are excellent, he just does seem to be able to articulate clearly. Any advice welcome!

What we found with our son is that often his mind is racing way ahead of his ability to find, sequence, plan and put together a sentence. He often talks as if people know what he is talking about, and he speeds through it all with all the words kind of blending into one long sentence that is not understandable.

What our speech therapist did was to give my son a narrative framework visual cue. He worked alot on picture stories and was prompted to answer the relevent facts about them eg. What Happened, When, With Who, Outcome etc. And we still need to prompt him now to remember to give us information. But it has helped. What we didn't get, and what we are trying to get provision for, is that when my son is taught a social skill that has been targetted by the SALT in 1:1 discreet sessions, that the TA then sets up opportunities to practice that skill in the classroom and playground and prompts him to use it and then gradually reduces the amount of prompts she needs to give until he is independent. Then that skill would have to be revisited later to check it was still being used.

I find that it is always in the functional setting that these skills tend to fail.