Sign in to follow this  

Is the forum server improperly assigning post times?

Hi folks,

Possibly a bit cheeky since this is only my second post but I noticed whilst revising an post edit that the times were the following:

Google("Time uk")<current time BST> 22:16 - 10:16PM

Post edit time:<forum time GMT> 09:23PM

An hour of the discrepancy is the difference between BST and GMT.. The peculiar part is the seven minutes difference.

Anyway I thought I'd bring it up hopefully someone from the forum's sysadmin team can have a look into it.

Thanks.

Edited by 31770

Hi folks,

Possibly a bit cheeky since this is only my second post but I noticed whilst revising an post edit that the times were the following:

Google("Time uk")<current time BST> 22:16 - 10:16PM

Post edit time:<forum time GMT> 09:23PM

An hour of the discrepancy is the difference between BST and GMT.. The peculiar part is the seven minutes difference.

Anyway I thought I'd bring it up hopefully someone from the forum's sysadmin team can have a look into it.

Thanks.

I've found it updates GMT to BST okay, but yes, if you look at the forum clock at the bottom right of the page you'll notice it's out of sync. I mentioned it in 'forum matters' when it was 5 minutes fast, but it seems to have gained even more time and is now 7 mins fast - means you can effectively time travel and post before the time exists! :ph34r:

I've found it updates GMT to BST okay, but yes, if you look at the forum clock at the bottom right of the page you'll notice it's out of sync. I mentioned it in 'forum matters' when it was 5 minutes fast, but it seems to have gained even more time and is now 7 mins fast - means you can effectively time travel and post before the time exists! :ph34r:

Glad I'm not the only one that's experiencing it.

If only said time travel was available outwith the forum, five minutes is all it takes for the greatest musings to traverse into whole-hearted recklessness

After you pointed out the forum clock I checked the discrepancy again and it's somewhere between 6 and 7 minutes not exactly 7 currently.

Taking a stab in the dark I can't help but think the web server was incorrectly set at time of construction or at least it's a bois asserted time which isn't remotely validated.

Edited by 31770

Wish I'd left it alone now.

(some post)views 0

- view the thread

- return to forum

- (some post) views 0

On saying that I'd imagine registering every forum view to DB would be strenuous of it's hosting server so I'd imagine it'll make a cheeky xml file for each view and read the containing directory every x minutes updating the DB.

Hi 31770,

If you have complex questions about forum technical matters it's best to pm Lufty directly as he handles all that stuff (thank God! :hypno: ). :)

K x