Sign in to follow this  
Linnet

Hello, I'm new to ASD and forums

Hi

As the title says, I'm new to both ASD and to forums. I am 47 years old and have recently been diagnosed with Aspergers. Although my initial reaction was disbelief, I now can't believe it wasn't diagnosed sooner ( my 19 year old son has spent the last 2 years telling me I have all the traits). I have been reading some of the posts on this forum and realise that I may be almost stereotypical ( if there is such a thing) as I've spent all my life flapping my hands when excited or anxious, I very rarely feel things ( I say I think rather than feel), I never know how to react in situations and have always just copied what other people do and I find it impossible to make choices as I genuinely don't have a preference when offered a choice, to name just a few. I am intelligent ( IQ of 154) and this has enabled me to get through life so far as I have a job ( tax accountant) and am married ( 2nd husband ). However, I don't have close friends and the people I like all live in other cities and I'm finding it increasingly more tiring to appear 'normal' as I get older. I hope I haven't written too much as I'm not sure about forum etiquette.

L

Hi

As the title says, I'm new to both ASD and to forums. I am 47 years old and have recently been diagnosed with Aspergers. Although my initial reaction was disbelief, I now can't believe it wasn't diagnosed sooner ( my 19 year old son has spent the last 2 years telling me I have all the traits). I have been reading some of the posts on this forum and realise that I may be almost stereotypical ( if there is such a thing) as I've spent all my life flapping my hands when excited or anxious, I very rarely feel things ( I say I think rather than feel), I never know how to react in situations and have always just copied what other people do and I find it impossible to make choices as I genuinely don't have a preference when offered a choice, to name just a few. I am intelligent ( IQ of 154) and this has enabled me to get through life so far as I have a job ( tax accountant) and am married ( 2nd husband ). However, I don't have close friends and the people I like all live in other cities and I'm finding it increasingly more tiring to appear 'normal' as I get older. I hope I haven't written too much as I'm not sure about forum etiquette.

L